• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Miscellaneous

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Made the flock a batch of Crazy for Corn Nuts for Noodles and added some AO freeze dried and black chia to it. I thought I was buying Crazy Corn, but it's different. New owners? Knock-off? It might be too sweet for my guys. We'll see if they like it at other offerings...

Had the girls out in the aviary today. I redid the layout of some perches and toys. Yes, Sarah, I have one of my orbits out there! Might as well use it. The girls were a bit hesitant at first but quickly got in the swing of things, and they enjoyed bath time. Both were a little full of themselves and gave me fairly substantial macaw squeeze bites. They didn't break the skin. As I've said before, Daff is the bird who gets fired up on top of believing it's her job to correct me with a nip if I've done something to displease her. She's sassy.

All of that while smoking beef short ribs and some scratch-made mashed taters. Yum. It's very nice to be able to enjoy the backyard again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gotta ask simply because I’ve never heard of it- what are scratch-made mashed taters? Are they cooked special before being mashed spud?

Bet the girls loved being outside :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Made the flock a batch of Crazy for Corn Nuts for Noodles and added some AO freeze dried and black chia to it. I thought I was buying Crazy Corn, but it's different. New owners? Knock-off? It might be too sweet for my guys. We'll see if they like it at other offerings...

Had the girls out in the aviary today. I redid the layout of some perches and toys. Yes, Sarah, I have one of my orbits out there! Might as well use it. The girls were a bit hesitant at first but quickly got in the swing of things, and they enjoyed bath time. Both were a little full of themselves and gave me fairly substantial macaw squeeze bites. They didn't break the skin. As I've said before, Daff is the bird who gets fired up on top of believing it's her job to correct me with a nip if I've done something to displease her. She's sassy.

All of that while smoking beef short ribs and some scratch-made mashed taters. Yum. It's very nice to be able to enjoy the backyard again.
I'd hang out with ya if there was a beer handy.. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Gotta ask simply because I’ve never heard of it- what are scratch-made mashed taters? Are they cooked special before being mashed spud?
It just means that he made them from fresh potatoes instead of using pre-made mashed potatoes, or using potato flakes.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Bet the girls loved being outside :)
Nope, just made from potatoes with chive salt, butter, milk, pepper, and sour cream. Not out of a box.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It just means that he made them from fresh potatoes instead of using pre-made mashed potatoes, or using potato flakes.
Oh, thank you- the answer was much less involved than I thought it was gonna be lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Nope, just made from potatoes with chive salt, butter, milk, pepper, and sour cream. Not out of a box.
Thank you. Lol I really thought that scratch made was a special way they were cooked :roflmao:
Not many people here like instant mash potatoes so they’re not very popular-
I’m not a big fan of white spud anyway it is cooked but I do like some mash spud with carrot, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and thickened cream or cream cheese mashed with them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here in the south we call 'em "Taters". :D ( no telling what that word could mean in other languages!)

Oooo... had to look that up...

Where does the saying taters come from?
The meaning of "potatoes (or taters) in the mould"
Cockney rhyming slang for cold. Example: Whoa, it's the coldest day of the winter so far - really taters.

What are taters precious?
Gollum: What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh? Sam: Po-tay-toes. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.

What does taters in the Mould mean?
Taters: When potatoes are nearing their time for harvest, the earth is heaped up around them. This heap is a "mould". we then have taters (potatoes) in the mould = cold.

Why are potatoes called both “spuds” and “taters”?

Back in the fifteenth century a spud was a short-handled spade that had a general use but was best known for digging up potatoes. People who sold potatoes were called spuddies. In Britain, taters means cold, and — as is suggested in the rhyme “potatoes in the mould equals cold” — potatoes when grown in the mould, which is topsoil, are colder than if they’d grown deeper in the ground; therefore, cold spuds are taters.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm. I like fried taters with a pot of ham and beans!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Northern beans? That's how my dad made them. Days gone by...
Good to know cause I told hubby to get beans and he got Northern. I usually do pinto or cranberry beans.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Nice to hear the girls were enjoying the sunshine Matthew. Daff and Frankie seem to both like to do the ""squeeze" when they don't get what they want.
Sometimes if we're playing and I pick up something that is "his" he gets that look and yep, jab on the leg.
Glad to know he's not the only spoiled one with an attitude :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good to know cause I told hubby to get beans and he got Northern. I usually do pinto or cranberry beans.
I do pinto beans, too. Hubby's mom does Northern and adds things to them (I'm thinking carrots and celery and onion and . . . ).

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I was raised in the country by a country boy. I remember summer dinners of fried taters, sliced maters, cucumber salad, and corn on the cob.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was raised in the country by a country boy. I remember summer dinners of fried taters, sliced maters, cucumber salad, and corn on the cob.
Mom called it summer salad if you're talking sliced cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes in a vinegar water mix.

I'm going to have to fry potatoes.. .

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
cucumbers and sweet onions sliced in a mix of water, white vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds.