• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mirror question

birdwantee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Valerie
My male cockatiel is about 2 years old and really enjoyed mirrors when I first got him. He still loves them but now he is acting differently. He is now hopping around looking at his own reflection, and sometimes sings to himself, what does this mean?

(He is also with 2 different other species of birds so I don't believe he is lonely)

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Yes I hear mirrors can be a trigger for hormones. They see the reflection doing the same mating stuff. Also they talk but it doesn't talk back. Some birds seem fine with them but I don't want to chance it. I'd remove it

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'd remove the mirror. There can be a lot of hormonal issues connected to it, and birds can get obsessed as they don't realise it's not themselves in the reflection.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My male cockatiel is about 2 years old and really enjoyed mirrors when I first got him. He still loves them but now he is acting differently. He is now hopping around looking at his own reflection, and sometimes sings to himself, what does this mean?

(He is also with 2 different other species of birds so I don't believe he is lonely)
I do not believe in most cases that being with other species equals not being lonely....

I have 3 lone/single male birds all of different species (macaw, sulfur crested cocky and a budgie) and not one of them has any interest at all in the others but when I play videos or even just the sounds of their own kind all of them change automatically and become interested in where that bird is, they even call out to the bird on the screen and become excited, I believe this is because they speak the same language as birds the same species as them but body language and vocals of other species are basically like you trying to understand a language you have never heard before.

If he is getting desperate or wound up (like it sounds like he may be) then the mirror is not a helpful thing, it is a thing of frustration. I have seen birds who do well with a mirror and I have seen birds get frantic because of a mirror- most birds do not understand what a mirror is, they seem to think the bird in the mirror is leading them on or is defective and it causes frustration and annoyance. The description you give about your bird with the mirror suggests to me that he is maybe desperate for communication with his own kind and the mirror bird is tormenting him by not responding as a real bird would.

jb_avenue

Moving in

He's demonstrating to the other bird. I have several small mirrors which I reposition daily for my (single male 1 year old). Several times a day he will wander from mirror to mirror, "confronting" them and giving them a blast of sound. It is annoyingly loud, but is no problem for him. He's just doing what little boys do.

I haven't seen anything to worry about. And if you remove the mirrors, his life will be a bit more boring.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I am still yet to see a situation first hand where mirrors worked out. I have seen a lot of cases where the mirror caused problems, The bird obsessing over it and trying to court it. The obsession leads to frustration, as the mirror can't satisfy them. All around lots of hormonal issues with mirrors, personally I would remove it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Removing the mirror may serve to frustrate a hormonal bird even more. My budgies always had mirrors and talked to the image. Never had problems.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That’s hormonal behavior. I would remove the mirror and see how he acts.

Other species don’t necessarily prevent lonliness, especially for hormones. Is he housed with them? What species are they?