• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

minky, my ~3 month old lorikeet

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a handsome boy! And he knows it, lol!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a cutie pie,I never get tired of seeing your fun little rainbow birdie :heart:

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
20220108_111356.jpg he always likes sitting in my hair. when the light turns off he snuggles right into my hair as well until I bring him to his sleeping quarters hehe. also, do you guys have any perches that you recommend? currently just using the one that came in his cage + a branch i found and some others i got from the tree out front. the branch falls off sometimes and its annoying. I can't find any at the pet store :(

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 400723 he always likes sitting in my hair. when the light turns off he snuggles right into my hair as well until I bring him to his sleeping quarters hehe. also, do you guys have any perches that you recommend? currently just using the one that came in his cage + a branch i found and some others i got from the tree out front. the branch falls off sometimes and its annoying. I can't find any at the pet store :(
Maybe @Shezbug and @AussieBird may have some suggestions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t buy many perches because I mostly make my own. I only have two or three perches that I purchased.
If you’re in Australia @minkylory you can make your own perches from any of the native trees you have access to that you know haven’t had any pesticides used on them. Bottle brush is usually fairly easy to find and most birds like it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t buy many perches because I mostly make my own. I only have two or three perches that I purchased.
If you’re in Australia @minkylory you can make your own perches from any of the native trees you have access to that you know haven’t had any pesticides used on them. Bottle brush is usually fairly easy to find and most birds like it.
Oh I love Bottle brush! I wish it was more easily available here.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
minky loves bottle brush :) I'm just not sure what branches I can and can't take. bottle brush is in a lot of places around but mostly on footpaths.. I've never seen anyone using pesticides around here though I don't really know for sure. how would I go about making the perch? would I just add a little attachment or something? sorry im honestly clueless when it comes to making stuff haha

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I did not get notified for that tag...
I am the same as Shezbug, I have three bought perches, the rest I made myself.

If you want to buy perches most websites that sells toys have a least one kind of natural perch.
I think I bought mine from MyParrotShop.

minky loves bottle brush :) I'm just not sure what branches I can and can't take. bottle brush is in a lot of places around but mostly on footpaths.. I've never seen anyone using pesticides around here though I don't really know for sure. how would I go about making the perch? would I just add a little attachment or something? sorry im honestly clueless when it comes to making stuff haha
Do you have any trees in your yard?
You can buy attachments here, or you can just sit them in the cage so they stay a certain way.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You’ll need a saw and a drill. You want hanger bolts, wing nuts to fit the bolts and some nice big washers.
You want SS or nickel plated hardware - never zinc coated or gal.
I remember I had a terrible time finding hanger bolts the size I need in SS. I get a lot of things from marine supplies as they use 316 SS for nearly everything.
Some of the online parrot stores sell perch hardware.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guess is the tag @April added was in an edited post rather than in the first posting- adding tags in an edit won’t send a notification.
Yes that's what happened I typed the name but didn't hit the little box that shows up so then I redid it. I had no idea it wouldn't show if that happened so good to know that!

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
I did not get notified for that tag...
I am the same as Shezbug, I have three bought perches, the rest I made myself.

If you want to buy perches most websites that sells toys have a least one kind of natural perch.
I think I bought mine from MyParrotShop.

Do you have any trees in your yard?
You can buy attachments here, or you can just sit them in the cage so they stay a certain way.
yeah I have a lilly pilly and golden cane palm trees. the lilly pilly is overgrown so I could get some decent branches from it I think. thank you

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
sorry for not replying to everything, my fingers have been infected because minky keeps chewing on them.. it hurts pretty bad. how can I get him to stop doing it as much? my finger was swollen up yesterday and I still can't bend it properly today tho its better after soaking in salt water

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
I honestly don't know why they got infected because I always wash em properly with soap and even use disinfecting stuff. maybe because he eats nectar?. its honestly awful and painful. I don't mind him chewing my fingers, he does it when we're playing, but they continually get infected. this is the 4th time. 20220109_190551.jpg cheeky bird

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
sorry for not replying to everything, my fingers have been infected because minky keeps chewing on them.. it hurts pretty bad. how can I get him to stop doing it as much? my finger was swollen up yesterday and I still can't bend it properly today tho its better after soaking in salt water
Oh no that's terrible! I'm sorry that him biting you is effecting you so badly. I've been bitten by several different parrot species and that's never happened to me. Did he bite you at the joint?

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Oh no that's terrible! I'm sorry that him biting you is effecting you so badly. I've been bitten by several different parrot species and that's never happened to me. Did he bite you at the joint?
yeah! I would do anything for him and I don't mind the biting but it keeps getting infected. 20220109_080053.jpg you can see where he bites here, its the same spots on my other hand as well haha. I guess its easy to grip?