• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

minky, my ~3 month old lorikeet

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
obviously its not a big deal if he poops on me or on my bed. he just poops a lot lmao. he does eat mostly liquid to be fair, I would probably poop a lot too :D lol
he's really been enjoying his toys lately, he got one of them in his water though and I guess the dye from the wood block came off and made his water pink!? assuming it won't kill him or make him sick but I moved it away from the water just to be safe

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
obviously its not a big deal if he poops on me or on my bed. he just poops a lot lmao. he does eat mostly liquid to be fair, I would probably poop a lot too :D lol
he's really been enjoying his toys lately, he got one of them in his water though and I guess the dye from the wood block came off and made his water pink!? assuming it won't kill him or make him sick but I moved it away from the water just to be safe
Oh yeah as long as it's bird safe dye your fine. Every day I come home to rainbow colored water. It was red today from a balsa chunk and the other day it was pale blue,lol.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Oh yeah as long as it's bird safe dye your fine. Every day I come home to rainbow colored water. It was red today from a balsa chunk and the other day it was pale blue,lol.
omg hahaha :p yeah I'm pretty sure its bird safe, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it as a bird toy if it wasn't (strict regulations in australia, can't have any lead paint or other toxic materials)
Naughty little Minky! I gotta say I've had Tobias 3 months now and he's never once pooped on me or the bed. He holds it so well its most impressive.
lucky!!! I've had minky for almost 5 months, rainbow lorikeets just tend to poop a lot i think :p people can be a little bit dramatic about lorikeet poop though I think, its not so bad as long as you don't let it dry!!! dried lorikeet poop is so hard to clean!! I put a puppy pad on the back of his cage so it doesn't get on the wall as much but when he's out he'll just shoot poop wherever he pleases (unless it's where he sleeps. he basically never poops in his sleeping quarters!). sometimes putting a little bird nappy on him is tempting but I don't think thatd be very enjoyable haha

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
omg hahaha :p yeah I'm pretty sure its bird safe, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it as a bird toy if it wasn't (strict regulations in australia, can't have any lead paint or other toxic materials)

lucky!!! I've had minky for almost 5 months, rainbow lorikeets just tend to poop a lot i think :p people can be a little bit dramatic about lorikeet poop though I think, its not so bad as long as you don't let it dry!!! dried lorikeet poop is so hard to clean!! I put a puppy pad on the back of his cage so it doesn't get on the wall as much but when he's out he'll just shoot poop wherever he pleases (unless it's where he sleeps. he basically never poops in his sleeping quarters!). sometimes putting a little bird nappy on him is tempting but I don't think thatd be very enjoyable haha
Oh yes I have heard that Lorikeet liquid poop is truly something to behold!

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
everyone saying how nice their bird smells and then minky either smells sweet (like the nectar he eate) or like... weed. not that anyone in the house uses weed or anything, he's just always had that smell

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Minky is so stunning and quite funny.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Does he let you ‘preen’ him, too? Lol! You’re just part of his flock!

I love the sweet little noises he makes! :xflove:
only sometimes, he likes being pet under his beak and near his.. ears? sometimes he'll let me get one of the big pin feathers too (satisfying to get the big flakes off, not gonna lie)

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
sometimes i feel like a terrible owner and like i shouldnt have any pets at all.. my past birds, while they have all been wild and injured, died really quick for god knows what reason. I had a pigeon with a broken wing when I was young and he lived outside in a cage, lived for a good few months and then one day just didnt eat breakfast and died when i got home from school. my other bird was 100% healthy, strong and I was rehabbing it to release it back into the wild (it was flying around with adult birds and even being fed) and then my dog suddenly, out of nowhere, saw it on the ground and attacked it. we brought him to the vet asap, they put him in an incubator and gave him fluids and all but died after 2 days. they said he was healthy other than the obvious injury. I'm scared minky will end up like one of them even though my dog never ever has access to the bird and i take as good care of him as ican. im so paranoid about everything, im scared i dont feed him enough variety or i feed him too much or too little or im cruel and awful for having him in a cage while its unsafe for him to be out or while im so exhausted i cant stay awake . i feel like i dont provide him with enough toys and im scared he'll purposely snap his neck between the bars of his cage because of loneliness or something. idk. i just feel like a bad person for some reason. i feel like he'd be better off in the wild or with someone else. i wish i could stop feeling so guilty