• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

minky, my ~3 month old lorikeet

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:awww:

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
I think he's going through his first moult, this morning I was putting him in his cage and a feather fell off him :o: I also noticed a few small feathers at the bottom of his cage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love how he holds one foot with the other! Molting can be rough, but it happens all the time. Birds usually eat more during molts--I know my budgie boys really do! Enjoy your new hobby of feather collecting!!

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
I love how he holds one foot with the other! Molting can be rough, but it happens all the time. Birds usually eat more during molts--I know my budgie boys really do! Enjoy your new hobby of feather collecting!!
yup, he's a bit cranky and bit me hard a few times but other than that seems completely fine. feathers maybe looking a little rough haha :p having a nice bath seems to make him feel much better, and he has indeed been eating more but getting new feathers would take up a ton of energy so I totally get it:)

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
View attachment 397346
I looked away for a minute and he started eating my dinner :cry: (don't worry, nothing bad on it that could hurt him, just chicken and salad. he was picking at the bread)
He says, "Are you planning to eat this delicious meal without me?" :heart: :laugh:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Minky looks so proud stealing your dinner.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
oh yeah, I forgot to say. minky for some reason really wants to play with the dog. obviously I dont let him out of the cage near the dog (mainly because my dog has killed a past bird I had, absolutely heart breaking. he also attacked a baby bird that lived in the mock orange bush and it had a seizure in my hands and died). when the dog puts his nose near the cage the bird bites him, its a bit funny :p definitely do not trust the dog but he has a very tiny snout so he cant really do anything through the cage bars to the bird thankfully. I try to keep the dog in another room but sometimes its way too hot to have doors shut and I need to let breeze through the house :-/. do you guys have any advice for deterring the dog from the bird? I know its just natural instinct for him to want to eat small animals but still....

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I currently use a sheer curtain hanging from one of those pressure-mounted curtain rods in one of the doorways leading to the kitchen so that light and air can pass through, but the birds cannot. I don't have a dog or cat, so maybe the addition of a dog gate to keep your dog out of the room where your precious Minky lives?

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
I currently use a sheer curtain hanging from one of those pressure-mounted curtain rods in one of the doorways leading to the kitchen so that light and air can pass through, but the birds cannot. I don't have a dog or cat, so maybe the addition of a dog gate to keep your dog out of the room where your precious Minky lives?
oh yeah that's actually a great idea, im not sure how I didn't think of that :0 I usually just get some laundry baskets and put it in the doorway but that's not exactly secure :p thank you for the suggestions! will definitely look into the curtains as well ^_^