• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

minky, my ~3 month old lorikeet

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Your lorikeet is just too fun and adorable. I had no idea they had little color patches under their wings

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have such adorable Lorikeets!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Cutie pie.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Is it really hard to keep your place clean? Your birds are SO BEAUTIFUL. They’re just so bright.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have carpeting, so I guess, no lorikeets. ☹

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
I have carpeting, so I guess, no lorikeets. ☹
aw too bad.. lorikeets are quite a handful anyways, even though they're small they can be pretty aggressive lol. Minky bites me while I wash up his bowls haha. at least it doesn't hurt as much as seed/nut eating bird bites.. conure bites for example hurt like hell compared to lorikeets bites..

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Ellie refuses to leave her cage lately which sucks. usually around spring and summer she just doesn't want to come out, no matter what bribes I give her. its either because her previous owners didn't take her out enough or she's feeling nest-y. she still barely flies despite the fact that her flight feathers have grown back in as well, I think her wing muscles might be weak or something, not really sure tbh..

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hey, everybody (hopefully) gets old.

she’s a gorgeous old lady.

my very old Quaker got much less active in her last three years and very much so in her last year.

but if your girl has arthritis, pain meds might make her feel better and happier. Also she loved her thermal perch and cuddle up bird warmer (as well as sleeping under my chin).

Gosh I miss my Lucy. :(

Last edited:

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
Hey, everybody (hopefully) gets old.

she’s a gorgeous old lady.

my very old Quaker got much less active in her last three years and very much so in her last year.

but if your girl has arthritis, pain meds might make her feel better and happier. Also she loved her thermal perch and cuddle up bird warmer (as well as sleeping under my chin).

Gosh I miss my Lucy. :(
aww I'm sorry for your loss :(

I might get her checked for arthritis then, if she is in pain I don't want her to suffer every day :(. she's definitely not as active as Minky (considering he's only 2 and a half) and ever since I first got her she's had trouble with pin feathers. definitely not as much as before, she used to be absolutely covered in pin feathers and smelled dusty because previous owner didn't give her a big enough bowl to bathe in.

here in Australia we are in summer so she won't need a thermal perch but she has a little blanket she can cuddle if she wants to :)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Give her a smooch for me if she will permit it.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
thinking I'll bring Ellie to the avian vet soon, its much cheaper than I thought it would be ($144 for consult and $40 for faecal test) so I can definitely afford it even if I'm on government support payments currently.. I just want my girl to be happy and healthy so I thought its definitely time to bring her to a vet for a check-up. I'm unsure if she's been to a vet in her 17 years of living, she's never had any major issues with me and even showed improvement once I got her so I never felt the need. the only thing is, she is very nippy even with me (her favourite person), she bit my hand today real hard and wouldn't let go just from me trying to change her food and water bowls :dead:. I will bring Minky for a check too, but separately and not so soon, he is clearly in pristine health and his feathers look so beautiful.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
also I need to clean their cages out fully and hose them down but I'm so sick today, they'll have to bare with just a wipe down for today

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
well, Ellie just laid an egg right in front of me. she was on her top perch, acting weird and then she pooped out an egg while I was looking at her lol
she hadn't laid an egg since December 2022 so I thought she was just done with laying eggs but nope

jessem101

Meeting neighbors
well, Ellie just laid an egg right in front of me. she was on her top perch, acting weird and then she pooped out an egg while I was looking at her lol
she hadn't laid an egg since December 2022 so I thought she was just done with laying eggs but nope
wow! well glad it didnt get stuck or anything, hopefully she recovers well.