• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

mini weight

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I’ve been weighing my mini jefferson since I got him 5 years back. he was 149grams day 1. when You research the weight of an adult hahns macaw it says 120 to 170 some say 140 or near. i dont know if these charts are crazy or my little boy is fat as hell. i weighed him yesterday for this month hes currently 166grams. can anyone else share the weight of their mini ? or shed some light as to what it should be? I looked at some very old posts from this forum and many said 140s 150s but age wasnt clear.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Go by body condition using the keel bone. If the breast tissue is flush with the keel, then he's a good weight. If he has "boobs", he's fat. If you can't figure it out, your vet can help. :)

Averages are just that. They do not encompass all individuals at either end of the spectrum. And weight can fluctuate with hormones, or when they last ate/pooped. Try to ensure you are weighing first thing in the morning on an empty crop.

keelbone-illus-2_orig.jpg

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Go by body condition using the keel bone. If the breast tissue is flush with the keel, then he's a good weight. If he has "boobs", he's fat. If you can't figure it out, your vet can help. :)

Averages are just that. They do not encompass all individuals at either end of the spectrum. And weight can fluctuate with hormones, or when they last ate/pooped. Try to ensure you are weighing first thing in the morning on an empty crop.

View attachment 429123
he seems like the chunky bird on the right lol but he flies everyday and never sits still. If an over weight human moved like him they would lose it all in a heart beat. hes heading to the vet tomorrow actually, im going to get his blood screen done and general health check. which is how I got to thinking about his weight…. noone likes that lecture from the vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's his diet? Even if he's very active, what he's eating can have an impact too :)

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
What's his diet? Even if he's very active, what he's eating can have an impact too :)
he has pellets all day daily in a foraging box a mix of like 5 different ones. i givem veggies peas carrots broccoli, some of my bird safe human food too whatever I might be having that day, i also givem fruit and different assortment of cashews almonds in small amounts but not everyday.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
had him looked at today, doc said hes in excellent health but doesnt want anymore weight added on. guess hes right at the ceiling

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he flighted? You could encourage more flying to help burn off the weight. If he can't, doesn't, or won't fly, get him down on the floor and get him moving for exercise.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Is he flighted? You could encourage more flying to help burn off the weight. If he can't, doesn't, or won't fly, get him down on the floor and get him moving for exercise.
he flies but right now especially hes acting very aggressive and not really listening to orders given. I also have the emptying of any food source within minutes into the water or floor daily. even foraging doesnt work sometimes he will forage it to death. wish they had an injection for me every month to relax lol