• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mini macaws?

pelican301

Moving in
Real Name
lewis
I've been looking into mini macaws recently and I really like the severe macaw because of their size but have heard a lot of negative things about them not being too great pets. I've heard they are a little more "wild" than other species. Does anyone own one? if so what is it like to own one? and how loud can they get? and what are the other mini macaws like? I've really only had experience with the larger macaws. Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here is a good read

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw I can not think of any of our members with a severe macaw, do you know of any?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not off the top of my head.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
So my Hahn’s just turned 5.....months He is weighing only about 138g in the morning. Is this the right weight for a 5 month old baby or do I just have a mini mini macaw?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well if your baby isn't underweight, you now understand that averages aren't absolute ;)

How does his keel feel? If sharp, he's underweight. If not, then he's probably just small.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Well if your baby isn't underweight, you now understand that averages aren't absolute ;)

How does his keel feel? If sharp, he's underweight. If not, then he's probably just small.
His keel is very boney and sharp. It’s got me nervous now. Made an appointment with an avian for next week. Somethings not right. I mean he is not losing weight he is just not gaining.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What is his diet? Are you giving him any comfort feedings - formula. Is there anything he like to eat in particular?

Does he show any symptoms of being ill?

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
What is his diet? Are you giving him any comfort feedings - formula. Is there anything he like to eat in particular?

Does he show any symptoms of being ill?
Feeding him good Rowdy Bush pellets which he loves and have been adding some walnuts and pine nuts for some “good” fats. I make him birdie bread from the Birdtricks.com recipe and he enjoys that too. And then at night I give him veggies mix of peas, corn, carrots, and green beans along with fresh kale and broccoli and a little fresh apple and grapes. So the food is all good, he just doesn’t eat a lot of it.
And no signs of being ill. He plays and trains with me every day. Poops are good and look normal. And again he is not losing weight, just not gaining any more. Only gained about 7g since I got him 2 months ago.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Has he fledged or is he getting ready to fledge? His diet sounds good, but if he doesn't eat enough, he doesn't eat enough. Perhaps you can add some high protein stuff, such as egg whites (2x per week) or tofu to his diet. Don't want to give him to much in fats.

You can try adding some RPO (Red Palm Oil) to his bird bread for good (unsaturated fats) and Vit E and Vit A and carotene.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Not exactly sure. The Breeder clipped him when he was young so I don’t know how long it takes for new flight feathers to grow back. I have him flying off his perch and cage to my hand already so he knows how to fly when he can. Started back about a foot and now I am back 3 or 4 feet and he flys right to my hand. So he is getting some exercise. And I have been putting some RPO on his pellets the last week also.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
So Buddy if finally about done moulting and is looking beautiful. Yesterday though I found a full length tail feather in the cage. No blood on it or anything. Is it normal for tail feathers to fall out during a moult?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It sure is! Pics??