• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mineral block or Cuttle Fish Bone which is important for parakeet?

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I want to know cuttle fish bone or mineral block which one is important for parakeet?? or both need for them?? I also want to know elements in mineral block ex: pluster of paris, clay, lime stone etc these are need for parakeet or it work as slow poison harmful for bird?? Thanks

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
I have cockatiels, and I have both mineral blocks and cuttle bones. I’m not sure which is more important, but I like them to have a variety to choose from :3

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have 3 budgies and a cockatiel. They get a good healthy diet, based around a quality 'complete' seed mix along with fresh vegetables and the occasional fruits. They also get a dried greens mix - a nice blend of dried herbs.
I have no want nor need for iodine blocks. I do keep a small supply of cuttlefish bones though, but I only use these as shelf perches - when their nails get too long - as a natural pedicure.
I do appreciate that there are parronts in areas of the world who don't have such luxuries. In this case while I don't disapprove of the use of cuttlefish bone and iodine blocks I still try and push toward healthier alternatives. And, too be frank, cuttlefish bone ain't really a good source for dietary calcium.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Cuttlefish bones are good for buffing beaks. It barely does anything for them nutrition-wise. I don´t bother buying them, however waste not want not, I collect them when I go to the beach in Cadiz - I always spend an hour with my man collecting a few nice (whole) shells for the children my mum´s neighbour teaches (she was my primary school teacher), and cuttlefish bones for my birds grooming needs.

If you feel your bird needs the extra calcium, scramble an egg, wash the shell, crush it into a fine powder (important it is powder), mix into the cooked egg. Don´t cook for birds on a teflon pan - use stainless steel.

The mineral block is not poison, but buy it from a good pet shop if you want to use it.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Cuttlefish bones are good for buffing beaks. It barely does anything for them nutrition-wise. I don´t bother buying them, however waste not want not, I collect them when I go to the beach in Cadiz - I always spend an hour with my man collecting a few nice (whole) shells for the children my mum´s neighbour teaches (she was my primary school teacher), and cuttlefish bones for my birds grooming needs.

If you feel your bird needs the extra calcium, scramble an egg, wash the shell, crush it into a fine powder (important it is powder), mix into the cooked egg. Don´t cook for birds on a teflon pan - use stainless steel.

The mineral block is not poison, but buy it from a good pet shop if you want to use it.
ok thanks but is mineral block compulsury?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I do keep a small supply of cuttlefish bones though, but I only use these as shelf perches - when their nails get too long - as a natural pedicure.

What a great idea @Ripshod - How do you attach them like a flat perch? maybe between two horizontal bars in the corner? I would love to do this for F&F.

Mine have both mineral blocks and cuttlebones, one mineral block that is a huge (and I mean huge) by accident, not reading the description that good!
They love that one and it's a big clam shell.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How do you attach them like a flat perch? maybe between two horizontal bars in the corner? I would love to do this for F&F.
I bought a bag of plastic crocodile clips that attach to the cage bars and hold anything. They're dead handy for clipping treats round a cage.
_20190302_230757.JPG
OUCH!!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be worried that the mineral block contained toxic materials - I would not trust plaster of paris manufactured for industrial purposes to be safe to eat.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'd be worried that the mineral block contained toxic materials - I would not trust plaster of paris manufactured for industrial purposes to be safe to eat.

You mean that is what the mineral blocks basic content is... plaster of paris?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just going by what the OP said. I don't know what is being sold as mineral blocks in the OP's country.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm just going by what the OP said. I don't know what is being sold as mineral blocks in the OP's country.

Right... I just looked it up and it said that the binder used for the mineral blocks are usually plaster of paris, which they say is calcium carbonate... which they also say is fine for our birds. Does make me wonder though! We used to make a lot of stuff out of plaster of paris as children, and it seems I recall some wild Girl Scouts eating the stuff - UGH... LOL!