• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton's being Milton...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You wouldn't want to go into some detail about that for us new people with very dependent birds, would you?
I like the birds that live with us to be as independent as possible....that means limited physical interaction, time apart from people, and finding entertainment other than from us...toys for example. And most importantly, not to have an overwhelming favorite person.
To that end, our birds are free flying most of the day, although monitored by us for their protection. ;) At any particular time you may find two tiels on a curtain rods, scolding the outside birds, one tiel trying to steal food from the conure's cage, and the two budgies under the coffee table,as it is right at this very minute.

Anyway, Milton has always chosen me as his favorite...and he got to a point of being very demanding of my time and presence...all the time. So we devised a plan to de-escalate his reliance on me...by having Kathy and my family work with Milty as much as possible. (feeding, playing, etc)

Unfortunately, the plan was only sightly successful...Milty was raised being loved, spoiled, and doted on...and he has decided that that's the way he will be with us...Cockatoos are a very stubborn, determined bunch.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Kathy has an unusual relationship with Milton. She is, at times, a bit intimidated by Milty, and he will take advantage of that situation. She also can be a little jealous of the fact that Milt and I do have what seems to be a "special" relationship between us.

Up until a few years ago, we were trying to wean Milton away from being so dependent on us...wear "Big Birdie" pants, so to speak. All of our efforts really didn't succeed...
This is not unlike the relationship between Miss Coco and my wife. When Samantha is gone for a period of time, Miss Coco will start taking advantage of me, and she cn get aggressive.

She is (super) spoiled, and has a very special relationship with my wife. And I think that dependence will always be there.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Quite correct. ;)

I don't recommend people to try to emulate Milton's and my relationship, though. I lucked into a mature, male Cockatoo that was used to having a close relationship with a mature adult human...I just let him take the lead on how he wanted things to go. Every day is an ongoing surprise because I realize I'm living with an intelligent creature that isn't human that has to live in a human world.

People are surprised on how Milton seems to listen to me...he'll go back to his cage, come over to me, etc....almost like a dog would listen to commands. @sunnysmom has seen this many times when she visits...and then there's other times where he gets snippy and tells me "YEAH RIGHT" or "WHATEVER".

Life with Milton is never dull, that's for sure...;)
Wow, I read this and it breaks my heart how few people are able to properly care for a too. They are extremely complex but frail, require lots of love, and moody as all get out. As you stated, they are forced to endure in a human world.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow, I read this and it breaks my heart how few people are able to properly care for a too. They are extremely complex but frail, require lots of love, and moody as all get out. As you stated, they are forced to endure in a human world.
Unfortunately, that is just how it is. It's not that people can't care for them per se, it's they don't fully understand them. Yea Too's can be complex. You get out what you put in....
In my state, Too's are the number one bird that gets rehomed. You can find a too anywhere. It's sad really.
I think people expect this walking talking lovable ball of white feathers to be on its best behavior 365 days a year.
Lol.....that will never happen. Never. Too's have their days they want to just be a terribly bad too. And in a sense of the word, they are not being bad...it's just their nature. They are being a too. And some people can't accept that.
They didn't expect that, therefore they say enough and get rid of them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I like the birds that live with us to be as independent as possible....that means limited physical interaction, time apart from people, and finding entertainment other than from us...toys for example. And most importantly, not to have an overwhelming favorite person.
To that end, our birds are free flying most of the day, although monitored by us for their protection. ;) At any particular time you may find two tiels on a curtain rods, scolding the outside birds, one tiel trying to steal food from the conure's cage, and the two budgies under the coffee table,as it is right at this very minute.

Anyway, Milton has always chosen me as his favorite...and he got to a point of being very demanding of my time and presence...all the time. So we devised a plan to de-escalate his reliance on me...by having Kathy and my family work with Milty as much as possible. (feeding, playing, etc)

Unfortunately, the plan was only sightly successful...Milty was raised being loved, spoiled, and doted on...and he has decided that that's the way he will be with us...Cockatoos are a very stubborn, determined bunch.
Although you're clearly Milton's favorite. I think you've done a really good job socializing Milton. From my experience with him, he goes to people very easily. More so than my Elvis- although Elvis will go to other people if Howie and I aren't around, he typically won't if we're there.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Although you're clearly Milton's favorite. I think you've done a really good job socializing Milton. From my experience with him, he goes to people very easily. More so than my Elvis- although Elvis will go to other people if Howie and I aren't around, he typically won't if we're there.
You're quite correct...Milton does tend to socialize with people well. It's interesting how he acts towards men and women...with women, he's flirty and cute...with men, he shows excitement and happiness.

Elvis is an interesting bird to me....he definitely is his "own bird"....he's going to interact with you on his own terms..that's it! And that independent air...oh my...it's a quality I admire most in any bird...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're quite correct...Milton does tend to socialize with people well. It's interesting how he acts towards men and women...with women, he's flirty and cute...with men, he shows excitement and happiness.

Elvis is an interesting bird to me....he definitely is his "own bird"....he's going to interact with you on his own terms..that's it! And that independent air...oh my...it's a quality I admire most in any bird...
I really wish I knew more of Elvis's past. I think at some point he had an owner who really loved him. I don't know how he got passed around so much in his recent past. But I do think the independence comes from him being wild caught. Supposedly, he didn't know how to step up until the last person who had him before me taught him and she taught him to step up by going to her shoulder. o_O. But I'm skeptical on that. I think he just chose not to step up for certain people. LOL. He clearly knows how to step up with very little training from me- and now says "step up" when he steps up. He's just too smart. (Or is it " 'too " smart. :glowlol:)