• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton's being Milton...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's a bit rowdy today...after breakfast, he threw his empty bowl out on the floor....then he calmly walked out of his room and yelled, "ITS PIG TIME!" I don't know what "pig time" is...but it doesn't sound very nice to the pigs.
Anyway, I chased him back into his room...

Milton: " I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD...YOU DAD"...

Me: Thank you for identifying me, Bird..

Milton laughs, runs over to an old magazine hanging on his cage (for chewing purposes) picks it up and tosses it on the floor...

Me: (accepting the challenge) Nice shot, Bird...

Milton: "PICK DAT UP!"

Me: I'm NOT your slave, Bird...if you want it, you pick it up....

Milton goes over, picks up the phone book and tosses THAT over the side..."PICK DAT UP NOW!"

I figure it's time to lay down my cards..after all, I have the winning hand here ;) "If you want them...YOU pick them up, COCKATOO!"

Milton: "YOU BAD DAD YOU BAD DAD...I WANT IT NOW!"

I left the room then...but watched from behind the door...Milty tried looking for me...when he couldn't see me, he shimmied down his cage, grabbed the magazine and dragged it back up to the top of the cage and shredded it completely...all the time muttering something we couldn't make out.

I win this round...:yes4:

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
:congrats3: For the win! Before coming to the Avenue I had no idea that many of the large birds not only talk but talk saying something close to what they are thinking, which is a far cry from simple mimicking. I LOVE these stories! :laughing7:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I want to know how he figured out "now!" I assume everything they want is time sensitive to them, but he's Very specific for a bird!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I want to know how he figured out "now!" I assume everything they want is time sensitive to them, but he's Very specific for a bird!
Milton hears the word "now" quite a bit from me...so he's got the hang of using it back at me when it's to his advantage....so I guess the fact that he knows how to use the word is my fault...

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Maybe I can avoid it with Monaco.... But she already knows a few to throw at me. Her favorite is "stop it" and "what?" you know, with a tone... :cautious: <- complete with that look!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Maybe I can avoid it with Monaco.... But she already knows a few to throw at me. Her favorite is "stop it" and "what?" you know, with a tone... :cautious: <- complete with that look!
Milton uses "YEAH,RIGHT"...and "WHATEVER" effectively, and in context....more side effects of what he's heard in the past.

We have to be very, very careful with what we say around him...and my wife likes to get Milty to sing phrases of Christmas songs during the holidays...thankfully the phases fade out quickly, to be replaced by others. Last month, I took to watching the show "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel...so Milton picked up "V ONE...ROTATE"...:rolleyes:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That Milty... he's such a treasure! It's nice to know I'm not the only one having conversations with my birds. I don't get as much as you do with Milton but they're conversations none the less. Astro tells me to "GET OUT!" every time I approach her cage ( blaming the dogs for that one since they try to sneak in to see what's on the floor) Me: "Great Scott Astro... you are sooo rude! I'm getting out!" Rocket forever asking " What're ya doin"... Me: " Why do you want to know?" " you busy body you.... "

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He's a bit rowdy today...after breakfast, he threw his empty bowl out on the floor....then he calmly walked out of his room and yelled, "ITS PIG TIME!" I don't know what "pig time" is...but it doesn't sound very nice to the pigs.
Anyway, I chased him back into his room...

Milton: " I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD...YOU DAD"...

Me: Thank you for identifying me, Bird..

Milton laughs, runs over to an old magazine hanging on his cage (for chewing purposes) picks it up and tosses it on the floor...

Me: (accepting the challenge) Nice shot, Bird...

Milton: "PICK DAT UP!"

Me: I'm NOT your slave, Bird...if you want it, you pick it up....

Milton goes over, picks up the phone book and tosses THAT over the side..."PICK DAT UP NOW!"

I figure it's time to lay down my cards..after all, I have the winning hand here ;) "If you want them...YOU pick them up, COCKATOO!"

Milton: "YOU BAD DAD YOU BAD DAD...I WANT IT NOW!"

I left the room then...but watched from behind the door...Milty tried looking for me...when he couldn't see me, he shimmied down his cage, grabbed the magazine and dragged it back up to the top of the cage and shredded it completely...all the time muttering something we couldn't make out.

I win this round...:yes4:
What would have happened if after he got the book back up to his cage you poke your head around the corner and say HAHA I WIN BIRD! :lol: haha, I can't get over him PICK DAT UP NOW. What a boss! Wow!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Milton is way too smart. But Bob wins THIS round.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So.... now Dad knows what 'pig time' is... SHREDDING time - Haaaaa!
I notice you didn't ask him what 'pig time' really is! He is SOOOOO funny, and so are you! :rofl: :heart:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
So.... now Dad knows what 'pig time' is... SHREDDING time - Haaaaa!
I notice you didn't ask him what 'pig time' really is! He is SOOOOO funny, and so are you! :rofl: :heart:
You're right! Their whole relationship is a riot! Then Milton laughs and walks off, so you know much of what Milton does might be to get a reaction from Bob! Too funny!! :rofl:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You're right! Their whole relationship is a riot!
Quite correct. ;)

I don't recommend people to try to emulate Milton's and my relationship, though. I lucked into a mature, male Cockatoo that was used to having a close relationship with a mature adult human...I just let him take the lead on how he wanted things to go. Every day is an ongoing surprise because I realize I'm living with an intelligent creature that isn't human that has to live in a human world.

People are surprised on how Milton seems to listen to me...he'll go back to his cage, come over to me, etc....almost like a dog would listen to commands. @sunnysmom has seen this many times when she visits...and then there's other times where he gets snippy and tells me "YEAH RIGHT" or "WHATEVER".

Life with Milton is never dull, that's for sure...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Quite correct. ;)

I don't recommend people to try to emulate Milton's and my relationship, though. I lucked into a mature, male Cockatoo that was used to having a close relationship with a mature adult human...I just let him take the lead on how he wanted things to go. Every day is an ongoing surprise because I realize I'm living with an intelligent creature that isn't human that has to live in a human world.

People are surprised on how Milton seems to listen to me...he'll go back to his cage, come over to me, etc....almost like a dog would listen to commands. @sunnysmom has seen this many times when she visits...and then there's other times where he gets snippy and tells me "YEAH RIGHT" or "WHATEVER".

Life with Milton is never dull, that's for sure...;)
Omg Kathy must just laugh all day every day! I don't know how she couldn't!! Milty brings enjoyment to the forum, for sure, along with so many others. I love AA!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Omg Kathy must just laugh all day every day! I don't know how she couldn't!!
Kathy has an unusual relationship with Milton. She is, at times, a bit intimidated by Milty, and he will take advantage of that situation. She also can be a little jealous of the fact that Milt and I do have what seems to be a "special" relationship between us.

Up until a few years ago, we were trying to wean Milton away from being so dependent on us...wear "Big Birdie" pants, so to speak. All of our efforts really didn't succeed...

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Kathy has an unusual relationship with Milton. She is, at times, a bit intimidated by Milty, and he will take advantage of that situation. She also can be a little jealous of the fact that Milt and I do have what seems to be a "special" relationship between us.

Up until a few years ago, we were trying to wean Milton away from being so dependent on us...wear "Big Birdie" pants, so to speak. All of our efforts really didn't succeed...
You wouldn't want to go into some detail about that for us new people with very dependent birds, would you?