• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton wants to eat...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
When Milton is given dinner-his baby food- we will "model" eating it, just to encourage him to eat it...so this hap-pened yesterday....

Wife: (pretending to slurp food from bowl) Mmmm...this is good ...you want some, Milton?

Milton: "WAT YOU DOIN...DAT BIRD FOOD"...

Wife: It's mango...you like mango...

Milton: "DAT FOR BIRD...I WANT DAT NOW"...

Me: Give him his dinner, please...

Milton: "DAT RIGHT...I WANT DAT"...

Kathy put the food in the cage...Milton ate the food and licked the bowl clean...:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
WAT YOU DOIN EATIN MY FOOD LADY.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
I only wish Miss Coco were so easily placated by baby food. She seemingly goes days without eating, but when she does - look out! Forget bird food only - she could thrive off human food!

Last night it was: chicken bones (marrow) as an appetizer,
large portion of steak tips with some of the fat left on (main course)
croissant with butter and jelly (desert)
water out of the dripping faucet to wash it all down

No big fanfare - she simply moved from item to item, as if dining in an expensive restaurant.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I only wish Miss Coco were so easily placated by baby food. She seemingly goes days without eating, but when she does - look out! Forget bird food only - she could thrive off human food!
Milton came with his preferences for human baby food...and baby oatmeal...when we adopted him. At first, I didn't think much of the idea, but after I consulted with our AV, I continued with the feeding. We also added chop to his daily diet, which is a good thing.

Milty will also seem to "fast" every once in awhile...he'll almost completely shut down eating...this usually lasts a day or so...and it happens maybe twice a year... :)

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
I would think baby food and oatmeal are good for them. Milton is so lucky to have such great parrots.

Miss Coco will occasionally join me for an oatmeal breakfast - running across the room, climbing the chair, and climbing my arm. We all get a big kick out of it.

And the best part for her - she doesn’t have to do the dishes........

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I would think baby food and oatmeal are good for them.
Yes, it is....the baby food is exactly what it says it is...no extra chemicals or salt in them. The baby oatmeal you have to be careful with...some are fortified with iron...good for us humans, but not so good for birds...so we stick to the organic baby oatmeal.

One unfortunate side effect with baby food...poops tend to be extra watery at times...