• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton and friends are adoptable

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Please don't be upset with me as you read this. PEARL (Parrot Education Adoption and Rehoming League) has Bob's (cassiesdad's) birds listed for adoption. Let me first say, Bob and I discussed numerous times that if something would happen to him that he wanted his birds to go to PEARL. (Three of his birds were adopted from there.) He knew that I was not going to permanently keep Milton. The hope of course was that Milton would someday go back to him. That sadly didn't happen. Bob knew that with work, my fiance's health problems, my elderly parents and my own birds that I am not able to give Milton the level of attention that he's used to and that he deserves. I love Milton and the selfish part of me wants to apply to adopt him. However, I know in my heart that he deserves more than I can give him. He deserves to be the king of the household and I have one of those already. Although his wife did want to keep the birds (she is still in a care home), she decided to do the selfless thing and agree for them to be adopted as she too realizes that's what's best for them. I wanted you all to know for two reasons- one, I know many of you know and care about Bob's birds and two, if anyone is interested you can apply to adopt them. PEARL does have adoption requirements that have to be followed. The requirements can't be waived just because you might know me or knew Bob. Please understand that I have loved fostering Milton and am crying even as I write this. It will gut me to have him leave but he deserves the best home possible, and it's not with me sadly.

Sunshine, Igor and Tweety will be adopted together. They won't be split up. I had initially thought to adopt Sunshine. However, it was decided that the three of them would be happier together- and I agree. Adopting 3 tiels is a bit too much for me to handle long term. As some of you may recall, I bird sat three tiels this summer. So, I understand what three more is like. All three tiels are very social and again deserve more time and attention than I have. The budgies are living in a large walk-in aviary with a bunch of other budgies and although adoptable, will likely stay there. But they are very happy.

Again, Bob knew this was the plan. I am not doing anything that he didn't want. Also, Milton was never "mine". He was always in the rescue's care. I am just his foster mom. This is all actually positive. The birds have been in limbo so to speak until recently, and now they can have wonderful forever homes. No one will ever be Bob, but the rescue and I will do our best to ensure that the homes they do go to are wonderful. And please be kind- this has been hard for me as I love Bob's birds like they are my own.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You have done a wonderful thing in helping take care of Milton and Bobs other birds, and are doing a fantastic thing with PEARL in helping those birds that Bob and Kathy loved so much find a new home where they will be loved.
That´s great to hear the Tiels will be kept together.
I really hope someone wonderful comes along to take Milton home, someone who will truly love and respect him :)

I had seen a little while back that PEARL had announced Milton was up for adoption, but didn´t want to say anything here before you did.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have gone above and beyond in taking care of them. I know it must have been an enormous relief to Bob and his Wife that you'd be caring for and loving them as long as you could. PEARL is an amazing rescue and I'm confident they will go to the best homes. Bless you for all that you did for them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I can hope and pray that they all can find loving forever homes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like everything is working out just like it should. Thank you for being there to help Bob and his wife during the time they needed it most. I'm sure that having you there as a bridge for the birds also helped them with a lot of changes that they went through and will be going through. :hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I saw the rehoming post on IG on Saturday and thought he is lucky to have fallen into your hands and those of PEARL too. I do not think anyone could be upset or annoyed at you for doing what is needed for you and what is right for Milty. He will always be loved by many here no matter where he is or who he lives with and you will always be seen as an angel who offered him a safe stepping stone to his new home. Hopefully whoever he ends up with Milton and the tiels will share updates now and then but if not I trust PEARL will have made the right choice of family for them and they all will be happy and well cared for xoxo

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know you hurt and I'm sorry for that.

I totally understand.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Why would anyone reply negatively you have gone a great thing for your friend it must have meant so much to him knowing you were going to support his decision and make sure they were all in happy homes people like you with kind caring hearts should get so much credit but I can guess what you will say no credit needed you were doing what anyone would but you should give yourself credit and a massive hug for helping someone probably in their most time of need not everyone would do that
I don’t know bob I’ve read your post and I think your are amazing so thank you for all you have done and continue to do

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
You respected Bob's last wishes and went over and above to give Milton and the tiels a safe haven until the adoptions can start.
Bob trusted you to do the right thing, and you must be deeply saddened they (especially Milton) will be leaving you.
It sounds like you have more than enough going on in your life with your fiance's health problems, as well as your elderly parents.
You can only do so much.
You have been an angel in taking care of them .
:hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It'd be nice if Milton's new family (once found) joins us here.
Either way, we all know only the best will be allowed to adopt that bird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You seriously rock Michelle. Bob is watching in peace. :hug8:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are pictures of successful home-to-home adoptions on the PEARL site. There is a photo of a U2 in the middle of the second row of photos. Maybe it's Milton who has been successfully adopted?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any updates on the flock? Anyone found nice homes yet?
There are pictures of successful home-to-home adoptions on the PEARL site. There is a photo of a U2 in the middle of the second row of photos. Maybe it's Milton who has been successfully adopted?
Unfortunately, none of Bob's birds have been adopted yet. I still have Milton and the tiels are still together in a foster home. Sadly, Flakes, the budgie passed away. Bob actually adopted Flakes from Pearl. Flakes had come to the rescue when Flake's mate Frost had died. So, I am guessing Flakes was an older budgie. Omega is still with the rest of the budgie flock and is doing fine- has a new best buddy. Milton is a sweet, sweet bird and part of me is surprised that he hasn't been adopted yet. But he does require the right person- that person will come eventually. As for the tiels, I think perhaps people are a bit daunted at adopting three, but they are easy, friendly birds so taking all three really wouldn't be hard. I would just like to see them settled in their forever homes but they are all happy and fine where they are now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for letting us know, Michelle! I am sorry to hear about Flakes passing away, but unfortunately, like us, they do not live forever no matter how much we want them to. You have truly done so much for Bob's birds when Bob was still alive, and continue to do so even now that he has passed. You are an incredible human being!