• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milo has begun biting

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald
Hi everyone, Milo now 14 months, has been doing extremely well, he comes on me all the time, first just my shoulder and chest and then recently on my arms, lite bit on a hand, I'm still unable to touch him with my finger/hand but working on it as he trusts more.
Yesterday he began biting my hand and arm, no blood, just hurt, but not behavior I want. I don't know if he is preening as I don't know what to look for, his demeanor was his normal self, he didn't appear aggressive is what I'm trying to say. I make an odd sounding "ow or achhh" to get his attention, I tried with a finger pointing at him saying a firm no, his beak opened right up like I will bite that lol, so I stopped that one!
I understand he's an adult now and going through his hormonal changes with pleasuring himself etc, but the biting isn't something I will tolerate, so asking for tried and true methods if there's a thing lol.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Hm, I am trying to think of the cause of the biting. Recently, I have been carrying a quaker on my shoulder a lot and he has left two scabs on me. Mostly out of boredom. My solution is to wear long sleeves and a birdie necklace for him to play with.
You might try it to see if it helps.
Preening behavior will feel different, i wish i could describe it... they can be rough but mean well nevertheless.

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald
Hm, I am trying to think of the cause of the biting. Recently, I have been carrying a quaker on my shoulder a lot and he has left two scabs on me. Mostly out of boredom. My solution is to wear long sleeves and a birdie necklace for him to play with.
You might try it to see if it helps.
Preening behavior will feel different, i wish i could describe it... they can be rough but mean well nevertheless.
Thanks it's when he's on my chest or lap and of course my hands are there. I am unable to handle him as yet as he wasn't tame when I bought him last August, it's taken this long to trust me enough to come on me all the time when he'd out of his cage. He bit me twice today so I gave loud no's again, shushed him away, and then second time had to get him into the cage again, which isn't an easy feat lol
He just started coming on me recently couple months ago, and now is beginning the biting, just walked over to my hand and bit my finger little booger lol

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Wally gets excited and bites sometimes too. I agree, definitely not something I want to tolerate in the long run. I’ve put him down so he thinks, I bite, my person goes away but he is too hyped up to care haha. Hope you find a solution and little milo is adorable!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Hm. Maybe it is because of hormones, seeing how far he can push boundaries. I would put him back in the cage, or at least off of you if he bites.

Drewald

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Donna Rewald
Hm. Maybe it is because of hormones, seeing how far he can push boundaries. I would put him back in the cage, or at least off of you if he bites.
Yes that's what I'm doing and I believe it's hormonal as it began when he started pleasuring himself in his cage lol. I just had him out while cleaning his cage. He likes to follow me around me now and be on my shoulder or my head. I brought toys out for a bit and had them on my lap where he was, he had his mouth wide open trying to get to me instead so back inside he went after I was able to successfully get him there without touching him, as I'm unable still and honestly not wanting to yet while he's going through this!
I've added a small foraging area at the bottom of his cage to see if that helps...beads, shredded paper mixed with millet.
I'm trying to research how long this goes on for males and their hormones but haven't really found anything yet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please don’t use the cage as a punishment- it should always be a positive thing being in or going back to the cage.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi

I am having same problem with my lovebird but I think she’s female biting all the time any bare skin gets it at minute shes not hands on either will fly to my arm (normal just sit and chat or enjoy millet) but past two/three days is just on attack mode bite my lip wrist hands arms
I’ve bought her new toys hoping that helps they came today

How you getting on any tips that have helped ?

I have a male lovebird too he didn’t want to come out of his cage constantly making love to his tie knot rope perch (pico very tame normal loves to be with me ) or out flying around I removed this from his cage and rearranged it not sure if it was right thing to do but he seems to be better more himself again although the new object of his love seems to be his ball bell at bottom of cage

I’ve found a little perch (willow stick) helps get indie my non hand lovebird back in her cage or if she won’t come to my arm to move her

a perch on there door helps too to get them back in (a member on here said it and it’s worked great )
they get some millet if they come to it a few times then I shut door while they are on perch no hands and no pico knowing what’s happening if I take him back with my hand he knows and flys off

I hope your lovebirds settle a bit now ?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trying to combat the hormonal behaviour may improve things.
Increase hours of darkness (cover cage if possible ) 14 hours more if need be.
Dont feed warm mushy food.
Change the birds cage around a bit.