• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millet stems

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Wally and Eva have been bickering over the only toy they enjoy so far…millet stems :grumpy: they are shredding it. Is that fine if it gets ingested? I’m guessing in nature it’s fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean ideally we don't want them eating any non food items. Natural doesn't always mean safe :) I doubt millet stems would create an issue if they had a little but large amounts could potentially cause issues.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
True true. It’s fine, I stuck the millet stem through a piece of cucumber, hey i was trying something hahah. They promptly ignored my attempt and won’t look at it anymore :rofl:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My lovebirds LOVE millet stems to split and then tuck in their rumps. They can split it a few times to get many strands. When my girls are hormonal I give millet in clusters pulled from the stem.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Wally was nippy not bitey so I figured he needed some beak exercise. They love it. Maybe more than millets hahah

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
If they like millet stems try bamboo chopsticks. My babies love to shred them vertically and bamboo is safe. You can order 100 pairs for 10€ on amazon. Bamboo straws are great too! You can encourage more shredding by redirecting them to milletstem lookalike objects

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Mine love millet but only give them when training or in foraging toys when I am at work with dried chillies to keep them happy
Try put some in foraging toys make them work for it :heart:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
If they like millet stems try bamboo chopsticks. My babies love to shred them vertically and bamboo is safe. You can order 100 pairs for 10€ on amazon. Bamboo straws are great too! You can encourage more shredding by redirecting them to milletstem lookalike objects
Good idea! Thanks!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Mine love millet in these toys indie destroys toys so fast need new ones for her
Mine are justtt starting to get good at shredding. I’m glad it gives them something else to do when we can’t be with them