• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millet Spray / diet

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Once more, my point was misunderstood. My budgie female has chronic chlamydia, which was healed by azitromicine, doxycycline and enrofloxacine. But she remains the carrier, very rarely she has severe symptoms like letargy. Yes, some law proclaims that chlamdia should be announced to some state organs., or some institutions. But I have closed flock, so it is not necessary. My vet did not tell me not to breed my budgies. I have it under controll. Somebody recommended me to change all the wooden furniture and buy new one... burn all those wooden large perchces in rooms, but my vet told me it is nonsence, because then I would have to replace whole the furniture in the flat. So it is nonsence.
Do not tell me about irresponsibility, if you are yourself irresponsible.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
I think theres a huge misunderstanding in this thread due to language.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Maybe yes, but when I say that my vet did not tell me nothing about not nesting for budgies when having a chlamydia, that is a fact, not my fiction.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Maybe yes, but when I say that my vet did not tell me nothing about not nesting for budgies when having a chlamydia, that is a fact, not my fiction.
It's also a fact that chlamydia kills birds, it's also well known that chlamydia can be zoonotic.
And you've gifted potentially infected birds to other people.
While I dont personally know your vet, believe me when I say not all vets are equal.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
It's also a fact that chlamydia kills birds, it's also well known that chlamydia can be zoonotic.
And you've gifted potentially infected birds to other people.
While I dont personally know your vet, believe me when I say not all vets are equal.
I second this! I’ve been reading this thread and it seems like we’re not understanding each other.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
You can believe me my vet is much more professional than yours. I have an avian vet the best in countries of V4. My budgies were several times treated by doxycycline or enrofloxacine, once with azitromicine. If any budgie remains chronic carrier, but most of the time has no severe symptoms, it is under controll, it is ok to let her nest. Babies showed no symptoms. Also I refused to throw away large hanging hand made wooden perchces, because I am lazy to get rid off that and ordering new ones. It would be expensive.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
chlamydia can be zoonotic.
Just in case this isn’t understood, because a lot of people are unfamiliar with the term, it means it’s something that can pass between animals and humans.

Other examples are leptospirosis, rabies, and Coccidiomycosis (coccidia).

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I seriously can't with this thread! I cant believe you just called my vet unprofessional! You don't know a single thing about her!
Chronic carrier still means she can spread it! And maybe the babies were carrier too, but that still means they could infect any future or current birds the people you gifted them to have or plan to have!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
When one attacks the person and not the argument, one demonstrates that said argument has no merit. Chlamydia is transferrable through mucus, saliva, dust (like from shavings in a nest box), and contaminated vectors including water, food, and feathers. The bacteria can spread through the air and can survive without a host for months. These are the known facts. Therefore, you would have to incubate the eggs artificially and hand raise the babies from day one to have a chance at preventing contamination.

One poster indicated that chlamydia can lead to psittacosis in humans. Again, this is known fact. NO VET worth their salt would advise that you could breed the birds without risk. In fact, a vet would recommend a person in your situation seek a doctor's care. These are scientific facts. You can believe what you choose, but you can't change facts. You might as well argue that our sun is not a ball of hydrogen and helium held together by gravity but instead a radioactive planet with its atmosphere ablaze.

There is no reason to become hostile and call people irresponsible.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
OK, I am not worried about my health. If I am a carrier and will spread chlamydia on other people, I do not care.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
If it's still confusing here's a diagram. Like stated before chlamydia is very dangerous and I don't understand why your vet would advise breeding them. Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 6.07.29 PM.png

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Millet lacks a lot of nutrients, and therefor cannot work as a staple diet for your budgies. Feedings your bird millet every day is like eating mcdonalds each day. This can result in fatty liver disease. Millet and other seeds are not high enough in any nutrients whatsoever to keep a bird healthy. Budgies require a full diet, including veggies, fruits, grains, sprouts and so on.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Millet is high in fats and unhealthy foods. Feedings your bird millet every day is like eating mcdonalds each day. This can result in fatty liver disease. Millet and other seeds are not high enough in any nutrients whatsoever to keep a bird healthy. Budgies require a full diet, including veggies, fruits, grains, sprouts and so on.
I would like to put out there that Ivan is correct in that millet is not high in fat. It is high in carbohydrates.
Budgie still need some seed in their diet.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I would like to put out there that Ivan is correct in that millet is not high in fat. It is high in carbohydrates.
Budgie still need some seed in their diet.
My bad, i was trying to imply that millets along with some other treats can cause issues related to fats due to it being low in other nutrients.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Millet can be a great part of the diet. It is low in fat and does have nutrients! People can eat it too :)

What Is Millet? Nutrition, Benefits, and More

I'm not going to comment on the rest of the stuff happening in this thread as I personally don't believe in feeding trolls.