• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millet Madness

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
So cute and funny! The only thing you're missing is a shot of all the seed hulls below the millet feeder!

Gigibirds

I love it! And your birds looks so beautiful! Quick question....what is the at wood that you used to put the Mille tin? I would love to make something like that for my birds!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I love it! And your birds looks so beautiful! Quick question....what is the at wood that you used to put the Mille tin? I would love to make something like that for my birds!

It is a nice big piece of cholla wood. Cholla is the skeletal remains of a type of cactus. It is used a lot in reptile habitats, since it look cool and fits into a desert landscape. It is also occasionally used for bird perches. Most of the pieces I have seen are around one or two inches in diameter. This big boy is closer to four or five inches in diameter. Nice and thick.

I came across this extra large piece at a local pet shop and couldn't resist it. The size was perfect for threading millet sprays through the holes and I immediately thought of the idea to make a unique foraging toy for my parakeets.

Just be mindful that this is best as a supervised toy. Cholla wood is safe to chew, but there is a risk of beaks, claws, or even entire heads getting stuck in some of those holes. After my birds finished the millet, I took it out of the aviary so an accident couldn't happen while I was not watching and able to offer immediate help.

That being said, I might just be over-cautious. Many people have safely used cholla wood perches in cages without any problems. Use your best judgment.

Gigibirds

Thank you so much! Ok, well if I can find some then I will definitely make this toy! I didn't even consider that they could get stuck in it though! I will supervise them with it :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I got a Cholla perch for my budgies on Etsy. It was smaller diameter, about 1". They loved it, perching on it and chewing. Me, not so much because poop fell into the holes and was difficult to keep clean. Sorry Tweetie and Buddy, I threw it away. I do like the larger one that you are using to hold millet. If I had an aviary I would definitely try it.