• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millet alternatives for training??

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My rescue conure is untamed at the moment, and I have discovered that he does not like millet! Not only will he not take it from my hand, he also eats around it if I put it in the food bowl!
I’ve never had a bird reject millet, so I’m wondering if anyone has ideas of an alternate snack to give him to motivate him to tolerate hands. He does like sunflower seeds, but I think that since it’s such a small size treat, he will be more nervous to go take it straight from my hand, while spray millet puts some separation between the bird and the hand.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
My rescue conure is untamed at the moment, and I have discovered that he does not like millet! Not only will he not take it from my hand, he also eats around it if I put it in the food bowl!
I’ve never had a bird reject millet, so I’m wondering if anyone has ideas of an alternate snack to give him to motivate him to tolerate hands. He does like sunflower seeds, but I think that since it’s such a small size treat, he will be more nervous to go take it straight from my hand, while spray millet puts some separation between the bird and the hand.
could you try attaching it to a stick with a little bit of nut butter or use a small spoon to pass it to him?

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
could you try attaching it to a stick with a little bit of nut butter or use a small spoon to pass it to him?
ooh good suggestion! I’ll try something like that!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Start by designating a bowl as a treat bowl and drop in food as you walk by to start :) I use almond slivers, sunflower seeds, or safflower seeds. You could also use some long tongs like reptile feeders use.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Wow! Unexpectedly, I have had great success just by holding sunflower seeds out to him! He was nervous at first, but once he got brave enough to grab the seed, he kept coming back for more. He's on a pellet diet right now so I guess that made him desperate enough to take food from my hand. :loltears: He has progressed so much in only 2 days of being home. I found out that he was originally a handfed baby, so I'm thinking that has been helping to make him less afraid, even though it's been over 10 years since he was somebody's pet.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Start by designating a bowl as a treat bowl and drop in food as you walk by to start :) I use almond slivers, sunflower seeds, or safflower seeds. You could also use some long tongs like reptile feeders use.
I've never done this but what a great idea!