• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mild discipline question

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! So, spending more time with my birdie, dance partys lol I’ll put music on with my phone and we’ll both sing the song
:sing:But sometimes he will step on my phone and mess up the music, not a huge deal, but got me thinking, I’ve seen stuff about don’t hit/scream/spray with water to punish bird etc. What about teaching him the word no? Is that considered in the same category as hit/scream etc? Thanks for the replys!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
To teach a bird the meaning of "no" needs to be paired with some sort of aversive which in turn pairs you with that aversive. It's up to you if you want to go that way, but why not get him to do what you want him to do using added reinforcement instead? Make it more reinforcing to perch where he is rather than stepping up on your phone. Or change the antecedent so that stepping up on your phone becomes harder to do. I think we are too quick to turn to punishment when often better results occur using positive reinforcement.

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
To teach a bird the meaning of "no" needs to be paired with some sort of aversive which in turn pairs you with that aversive. It's up to you if you want to go that way, but why not get him to do what you want him to do using added reinforcement instead? Make it more reinforcing to perch where he is rather than stepping up on your phone. Or change the antecedent so that stepping up on your phone becomes harder to do. I think we are too quick to turn to punishment when often better results occur using positive reinforcement.
Thanks for the reply, great advice as well :)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky always dances on the iPad and cuts off the music. The only way I’ve been able to sop her at all is by cupping my hand next to the speaker and letting her cuddle under it while she listens. She’s not always in the mood for that though

Winn

Jogging around the block
Hi everyone! So, spending more time with my birdie, dance partys lol I’ll put music on with my phone and we’ll both sing the song
:sing:But sometimes he will step on my phone and mess up the music..
Sounds like fun for both you and your bird! :)
Would it be possible to cover your phone.. maybe by turning a small woven plastic basket upside down over it... or something that would keep him from being able to step on it?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried reasoning with him? Unlike other animals, I've found this works with birds. They're incredibly smart.

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like fun for both you and your bird! :)
Would it be possible to cover your phone.. maybe by turning a small woven plastic basket upside down over it... or something that would keep him from being able to step on it?
Thanks! We actually do have a small basket, maybe flip it touch-screen-side down would work nicely as well!

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Cheeky always dances on the iPad and cuts off the music. The only way I’ve been able to sop her at all is by cupping my hand next to the speaker and letting her cuddle under it while she listens. She’s not always in the mood for that though
Pippy is not a very cuddly birdie (maybe someday), but that sounds so sweet!