• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Might be being paranoid so wisdom appreciated

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Background: I have fully flighted birds. Gus is a great flier, and the two times he slipped out the door to the outside, he immediately flew to the ground and called until I approached...cannot express the sense of relief and joy I experienced...and how fortunate we have been with him. Max, on the other hand, is not so great with the flying.

Current danger: I recently became a member of a statewide lost bird alert. People report a lost or found bird and we share with locals to keep eyes open. Reporters are asked to give as much information about the bird as possible.

Here goes: Gus is banded, but all I can tell you is the band color. Max came from his bird breeder without a band. My vet offered to remove Gus’s band, but I haven’t to date. I’ve noticed several parronts have chipped their birds on the lost/found site. Is this a good idea? Also, is it a good idea to have an existing band removed? I know some places require the band to ensure the bird isn’t illegally wild caught.

I may have just stepped into “something” or opened the proverbial can of worms, but I’d like to hear your thoughts.:popmnst:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lots of people choose to have bands removed for safety reasons same as many choose to microchip in the hopes that if they need to identify their bird they can without any questions.
Bands can easily be removed and do not prove ownership of said bird.... microchip is registered to the person who legally owns the bird and has the chip implanted- information about ownership is kept on the microchip database. Much safer and definite way of identifying your bird if the need ever arises.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm interested in the answers as well. Especially since I hope to help Monaco learn to fly.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I would think having clear, accurate pictures would also establish ownership. ? Things happen in life and you are incredibly lucky to have gotten Gus back twice. Many are not so lucky and the stories are heart breaking and you probably hear many stories on the statewide lost bird alert. Louise has flown to the doors 2 times-once when I was outside-and I had to wait until I could safely re-enter without her slipping out.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
@Shezbug what is the safety concern of the leg band?

Also, aren’t the microchips about the size of a grain of rice? Wouldn’t those be rather large for my littles, or any bird smaller than a falcon?

Thank you for your replies!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Also, aren’t the microchips about the size of a grain of rice? Wouldn’t those be rather large for my littles, or any bird smaller than a falcon?

The trouble with the bands is them getting stuck in things. At least that's my supposition. It happens with lots of creatures and their collars, so I figure it's a similar thing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Some birds have gotten their bands stuck on toys or other things, if there is a foot/leg injury the band may cause extra troubles if the leg swells significantly.
The AV I see for Burt has said the birds she chips the most are actually cockatiels.

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
The thing with microchips is that even if a bird is taken to a vet, what are the chances the vet is going to scan them for a chip? We will be microchipping our sun conure, but I also hope to get a new band around her leg stating that she is microchipped so hopefully she will get scanned if she's ever brought into a vet lost.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
but I also hope to get a new band around her leg stating that she is microchipped so hopefully she will get scanned if she's ever brought into a vet lost.
That will be a open band and they are really dangerous.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Both of my girls are banded with a closed aluminium band. They are the right size and not to small. I consider them safe and will not remove them.
I'm a little bit scared of microchipp and the hole procedure. But I have never had any problem with a closed band but have removed two open bands.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have two banded birds. They have had them on almost 11 and 21 years. I haven't had any issues with their bands.

All of my birds are flighted here and two good in flight, one very skilled. My one suggestion would be a room for them to fly without worry of opening doors. A curtain to block the doorway from where they are when out like a room etc.

Living with fully flighted birds really requires a due diligence to and knowing where they are at all times when out.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Actually, the found bird folks who know birds report the scanned chip. Too many lost bird stories :peek1: it’s probably time for me to go to bed!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well many times when you see the birds outside without Harnesses, gives me chills. Too many Peoole that simply are looking for trouble.

Accidental escapes happen. But if you are very diligent to protect them, lessening thiese issues is the key!

Hanging curtains as shields in between rooms can help I'd they are in a room without a door. And of course, everyone in the home knowing they are out.