• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Midog test

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Is it worth it ? Can’t find much about it besides their website

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't know what that is , sorry.

How's your bird doing?

Edit: ok looked it up.
I had DNA test of my urine, it's the same sort of thing . Because I had an infection that couldn't be cultured. As in I had symptoms of infection but culture came back negative. This DNA identification of ba teria was very helpful for me in myself, as it was a nasty anaerobic bacteria. Those only culture under special culture. But still most wont grow. So thankful for this test , and was able to get proper antibiotics and recover after months of being sick.

I don't have experience in the veterinary settings. This is relatively new stuff

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Never heard of it... Can you explain what this is please?
DNA identification of organisms present in sample , especially helpful for fastidious organizims that are difficult, ir can't be cultured. If they are known pathogens with known sensitivity, then finding any they can be treated for .
It depends on veterinarian settings, if it how many have DNA profiles. Tho many are shared across species.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It is very expensive. Mine was $1000, for human test, not always covered by health insurance here. Mine was, because I'd had multiple negative regular culture , plus high wbc , Hugh # of wbc in urine. Sharing for all the women here , especially as we age kidney infections can be a lot more hidden. So this is a great test fir us if needed

But for you, have you had WBC run on your bird? Other tests? Symptoms consistent with bacterial kidney ( birds shed both urine and stool together, as most everyone knows already) or gastric intestinal?

Jesse_EG

Moving in
Real Name
Jesse Gurley
Our vet just ran one. I’ll follow up with our results later this week to let you know more about it.