• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Microchipping and leg band removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
I've been wondering about getting Ziya's band removed and having her microchipped instead. But I'm afraid it might not be worth the risk and stress. What's the band removal process like? Is the bird anesthetized? Has anyone here had a bird that had any complications from a chip? Does that happen? If the band isn't bothering her too much - she chews at it sometimes, but not often - is it better to just leave it?

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I started Microchipping my birds, back in 1995, including all babies I raised - size Sun Conure and up. I chipped all the birds myself, oftentimes without a helper. No anesthesia and have never had a single problem. I do not recommend doing this yourself, let the Vet do it. (I was an Avian Vet Tech).

If the Vet recommends anesthesia for the Microchip, find another Vet. IMO, band removal is more difficult than chipping. However, if the Vet has a skilled assistant there is no reason to anesthetize for a band removal, either.

Good Luck!

carkam

Avenue Veteran
The Vet removed my GCC's leg band and did not use anesthesia. I have not had him microchipped though.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I don't like leg bands. Too much of a risk of them getting caught on stuff. Karis and Kirby had one, it took the vet a minute or two to cut them off. She did it while they were toweled for their exam.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Good to know! I'd heard somewhere that some vets anesthetize, which kind of put me off the idea. I completely forgot to ask the vet the last time I was there, though. But Ziya's vet is excellent, and Ziya just melts into obedient goo in her towel, lol. I do worry about the band getting caught, too - Ziya gets kind of... acrobatic. And like I said, she chews at it sometimes.
Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely ask the vet about it when we go again (Z gets her nails trimmed there, too, so it won't be too long).

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would think why not leave it is double the chance your bird would be found unless if they have a band they will not check for chip? I bet they can towel birdie and dremel cut band off it would take like a sec but have to have someone towel bird and hold it .

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My vet used bolt cutters to remove bands. It was quick and simple. The only time I've heard of anesthesia used for microchipping is on smaller birds. My vet doesn't recommend it for sun conures. I'm not sure what the smallest size is that they'll do. Both the CAGs are chipped.

mimisaur

Real Name
Bec
I wanted to have Lola's leg band removed (Mimi doesn't have one) but it was too thick for the vet, so we just left it.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I had Nicky SC's band removed & had him microchipped--Easy Peasy. There have been some wild stories about chipping, but Nick barely noticed it, & no side effects at all, except for a false sense of security on my part, if he's ever lost :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.