• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Microchipping an Alexandrine

jd1054

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jane
Hi,
I have really been considering microchipping my Alexandrine. He is 3-4 months old.
I am worried about the risks associated with this. He will be given light anesthesia. I have been told that there are always risks of complications when using an anesthetic.
What are your thoughts on microchipping?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I actually had my bird chipped about two weeks ago. I am so glad I did it and it was no where near as bad or scary as I had thought it was going to be.
They gassed him and he was fine within a few minutes of being woken up. No issues afterwards with the site. I can’t believe I held it off so long due to my fears of something new and unknown.

Edit: clipped to chipped lol.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I never recomend it for self mutilators, or those prone to it. Otherwise, I think its great. I free flight- so its mandatory in my world.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Both of my little ones are chipped. They seem fine with it. I watched Luna her hers and it was quite painless. Just a quick syringe in and out. It was a little disturbing seeing her completely passed out after the procedure, but she was fine when she woke up, if not a bit groggy and unsteady on her feet for a bit.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I've got an appointment to get my Cockatoo chipped, but I may cancel due to my fears of him plucking that area again.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
It's a hard decision to make, in my opinion. None of my birds are microchipped. I think I would reconsider if microchipping was more like a "GPS device" that I could use to track them were they ever lost. But since they first need to be found and then scanned for the microchipping to really be helpful, I'm just not sure given the potential risks. But whichever option you choose, I hope that all goes well pre, during, and post! :)

jd1054

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jane
Thank you for all of the replies and comments.
I am seriously considering getting it done now.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My bird needs to be gassed when his bloods are done, because he does not tolerate body touch. It isn't as bad as I thought either. He was back to himself in a minute. In and out.

I think micro chipping is smart! You will always have evidence. And in the event of an escape any rescue will scan the bird before they place them into an adoption scheme and you will have you info connected to the little one.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I never recomend it for self mutilators, or those prone to it. Otherwise, I think its great. I free flight- so its mandatory in my world.
Do you have any articles or sites that have info on that? I want to read more and make sure I'm confident in my decision to chip my Too or not.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@TikkiTembo

Anytime you get any sort of wound, multiple things in your body go into high gear to repair the area. Collagen cells expand and causes a scab, which stimulates as itchy sensation. Your nervous system then goes into overdrive to warn you of the foreign body- which can cause inflammation and irritation enabling the bird to easily chew it-which starts the vicious cycle of red blood cells and collagen to create yet another scab, and another healing phase, etc.

When you have birds that are prone to plucking- having anything that creates 'stimulation' in that area should be avoided.

Have you ever picked at a scab? Its the very reason vets put cones on dogs heads, brains are wired to pick or explore anything that causes a strange sensation. I dont have any cites of the top of my head- its a well known fact. But I bet a quick google search should give you lots of results. So I never recommend feather pluckers to get micro chipped.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@TikkiTembo

Anytime you get any sort of wound, multiple things in your body go into high gear to repair the area. Collagen cells expand and causes a scab, which stimulates as itchy sensation. Your nervous system then goes into overdrive to warn you of the foreign body- which can cause inflammation and irritation enabling the bird to easily chew it-which starts the vicious cycle of red blood cells and collagen to create yet another scab, and another healing phase, etc.

When you have birds that are prone to plucking- having anything that creates 'stimulation' in that area should be avoided.

Have you ever picked at a scab? Its the very reason vets put cones on dogs heads, brains are wired to pick or explore anything that causes a strange sensation. I dont have any cites of the top of my head- its a well known fact. But I bet a quick google search should give you lots of results. So I never recommend feather pluckers to get micro chipped.
Very interesting. As an adult I mostly have control over that scab picking desire but I must admit that I do get caught out every now and then and just have to remove the odd one!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Shezbug
So sorry about my spelling and grammar errors. Im working on a research project- Up at 4AM non-sense.
I personally, as an adult: I will 'pick' at dry skin- usually around my cuticles, usually in a conference or under stress in a quiet environment (extended travel)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug
So sorry about my spelling and grammar errors. Im working on a research project- Up at 4AM non-sense.
I personally, as an adult: I will 'pick' at dry skin- usually around my cuticles, usually in a conference or under stress in a quiet environment (extended travel)
Yes!! I was going to mention that usually when I find myself picking or playing with scabs or sores it is when either my anxiety is off the charts or I am feeling uncomfortable, stressed, pressured or unsure.