• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Microchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Is it a good idea to have your bird microchipped even though they have their band on their leg?

I am always afraid of Iggy getting out and since I am having his wings grow back I don't want to lose him.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Unfortunately, nothing guarantees the return of a lost bird. I had my sun conure Nicky's band removed, & had him microchipped. I always worried about his band getting caught on something.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I recommend you do a search on this forum - microchips have had much discussion in the past with many pros and cons :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
A leg band is good for quick identification. Removing a band is a personal preference. Microchips do need to be registered as well with all your personal info. Like the Avid Microchip has their registry so if you do not do that part then the chip info only leads to your vets office where it was inserted at. I have my B&G Kuka and my Hawk Head chipped and registered with the Avid PetTrac. Yes, true, the chip is only good if a place has the chip reader to scan over the bird or animal. If a bird is stolen and then never scanned over then recovery is lost.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why are you so scared that Iggy will get out? Do you not take precautions/preventative measures for that not to happen?

emeraldlake

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Diane
I am going to talke with my vet abougt having Bobo microchiped. I figure the more identficaiton the better. I also thought that if he was ever lost or stolen and I thought I knew who had my bird, a chip would be agood way to prove he is yours. Had that happen to a freind someone stole her puppy and she was sure some kids from the neigborhood had him but they denied it saying it was their dog. The dog was mircorchipped and she got him back.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby is microchipped. I highly recommend it.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I worry about that too. I take precautions, but nothing is 100% fool proof and I'd be a fool to think it is. ;) Accidents can happen so I keep debating about if I want to take off Piper's leg band or not. Lafayette doesn't have one. If he got out there really AREN'T any identifying marks on him. His coloring is like almost every other bird his type and the same with Piper. I'd far far far far far rather be safe then have something happen one day and be left wondering 'what if I had...'

Status
Not open for further replies.