• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Michigan Friends

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Unfortunately my son turns 5 that day and I'll be at the opposite end of the mitt in Traverse City! :crycry:
His birthday is waaay more important Shawna! There will be other shows!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oooooohhh fun fun fun and more fun!! Time to turn the tables here!!! Haaaa ha ha Haassa (evil laugh):devil:,
And the song goes ... " the devil went down to the bird show.... He was looking for a particular soul to steal, he's mad as he11 and ready to make a deal...
He came upon this con artist b***h ....said girl let me tell ya what, ......
How do you steal a soul of somebody that doesn't have one to begin with¿¿¿¿¿¿

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How fun you are all going to meet up, I’m jealous!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wish I was closer! Maybe one day there will be something more in the middle, I'd love to meet yall!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
If anyone wants to meet up there and check things out, let me know!!!
Im on the fence about a breeder show, but I would definitely want to meet up with everyone :) Would anyone want to do lunch or coffee before or afterwards?

Unfortunately my son turns 5 that day and I'll be at the opposite end of the mitt in Traverse City! :crycry:
Youre son is a Virgo/Libra cusp, just like me! :joyful: Happy birthday to him :cheer:

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I can go, but there is quite a huge age difference between me and everyone else, my parents would have to go with us. It might be a bit awkward with my age and my parents not knowing much about birds, I don’t know what the dynamic would be. I’m alright with awkward, I mean age is just superficial, It doesn’t change how much I love birds and can be in an active conversation with people whatever age they are. In addition I’ve only been on the avenue for a month, you guys have known each other well, even if not a really long time, all of you are really active on the avenue and have gotten to know each other. Finally I don’t know how comfortable my parents would be, meeting with people I don’t know very well, and most likely considerably older than me (to clarify, I am not calling any of you old, as far as I’m aware you are all adults, and I am much younger than that.) and I don’t know how comfortable I would be with that, and my parents probably won’t be either (they do know what it would be like at the expo and know that some people from AA will be there and we might meet up, they know that you are older than me and the risks of meeting people you don’t know. They probably won’t be comfortable, not against it but not comfortable.) To summarize, there are some issues that might come up, but if you guys are okay with it, I’m okay to go. I’m sorry about all of this, internet awareness has just been engraved into my brain.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@KiwiandLemony I understand! I'm relatively young, if that helps! And I'll have to bring my two kids, I totally understand having tag a longs! Lol

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I looked and it is 4 hours from me so I can't go.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@KiwiandLemony Im happy to know that you are aware of keeping yourself safe on the internet -- that is so important! Ive only met one AA member IRL, and it was when I was traveling for business.Theres nothing weird in having parents want to know what their child is doing, especially with strangers. And bird people are self-professed crazies! :hehe:

to clarify, I am not calling any of you old, as far as I’m aware you are all adults, and I am much younger than that
:lol: Ive been Ma'am years old for awhile now!

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
@KiwiandLemony I understand! I'm relatively young, if that helps! And I'll have to bring my two kids, I totally understand having tag a longs! Lol
Thank you, that is really reassuring and does make me more comfortable. I’m sure it’ll be the same for my parents when I further in detail about who else is going, I think it’ll help them relax a bit.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
@KiwiandLemony Im happy to know that you are aware of keeping yourself safe on the internet -- that is so important! Ive only met one AA member IRL, and it was when I was traveling for business.Theres nothing weird in having parents want to know what their child is doing, especially with strangers. And bird people are self-professed crazies! :hehe:

:lol: Ive been Ma'am years old for awhile now!
Thank you for that. To clarify I’m happy about my parents coming, most people my age wouldn’t say that, but it’s a sense of familiarity in a new situation, in addition they have more experience with people you don’t know well and safety, so I think it’s amazing that their willing to come with me. You said that you’ve been Ma’am years for a while now, like I said age is superficial it doesn’t mean anything but that the older you are the wiser, you’ve had more experience in life! So please don’t think that being older than most is a bad thing, it’s not, it’s amazing.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Im on the fence about a breeder show, but I would definitely want to meet up with everyone :) Would anyone want to do lunch or coffee before or afterwards?
There is tons of toys, food samples, cages, etc. Anything and everything for birdies! But I'm in for lunch too!!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank you for that. To clarify I’m happy about my parents coming, most people my age wouldn’t say that, but it’s a sense of familiarity in a new situation, in addition they have more experience with people you don’t know well and safety, so I think it’s amazing that their willing to come with me. You said that you’ve been Ma’am years for a while now, like I said age is superficial it doesn’t mean anything but that the older you are the wiser, you’ve had more experience in life! So please don’t think that being older than most is a bad thing, it’s not, it’s amazing.
it will be a great experience for all of us! Although I've never met anyone from AA in person, I'm truly looking forward to it! The more the merrier in my opinion!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't gone in years, they used to have rescues there. This article is from the second to the last time I went Parrot rescue at Pet Expo gives insight into misunderstood bird
I went the following year and it seemed to be more breeders, 1 of whom was actually on the board of directors of "rescue" and she had babies she bred there :grumpy: Walking around talking to them just pissed me off. A Sun Conure breeder was telling newbies how quiet Suns were :banghead:, he didn't like it when I told them them the truth :D so I left and have not been back since.

Please let me know if it's changed? If it has I might go to the next one.
Also if the bird club is there let me know if they still have the same donation jar with the same cockatoo on it!
Also make sure you take precautions with anything you buy there before exposing your birds to it, sanitize, sanitize and sanitize! I would go so far as to change clothing after going and before handling my birds.

Have fun, it really can be interesting and they do have great deals. Make sure you stop in at K - 9 Specialties which is at Chicago rd and Mound rd. they have a room for parrot stuff, and their prices can't be beat.

PS: Take pictures :D