• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mice are BACK! Is fresh peppermint safe in dresser drawers around CAG?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
We use Irish Spring bar soap outside in a mesh [onion] bag to repell cats, etc from their pathways outside... not sure if they'd work for mice indoors?
I have tried that in addition to Altoids peppermints, they work for a while and then the mice seem to get used to it.

The spices seem to be working, no mice in a while, figure that out?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
This.... is going to be unpopular and I apologize for it. My partner used to work out of town jobs where they spent 21 days away from home and one MAGICAL DAY in october (prime mouse season where we live) he was literally walking out the door for a 21 day stretch and he said- btw i saw some mice in the basement w my winter gear. And I was......upset. lol This was my first mouse in my HOME situation I had ever encountered.Whenever I had mice at work- I was always the person who brought live traps and drove the mice out to the country to set them free - anyhow, 3 weeks yeilded me 0 mice and bait stolen from traps only (dog kibble was supreme!!) When my partner was home he was like....since your fear is watching them suffer lets try - "kill vaults" its a type of "humane" kill trap that stops the the setter from having to SEE the mouse.... remnants...anyway kill vaults were fine (however as so much time had passed with my humane attempts we had....quite a mouse...challenge) kill vaults seemed like the perfect solution until one day - when I was re-upping our bait on the traps that hadn't been triggered - when the grocery bag that had 1 untriggered trap in it, began shaking off of my counter. I thought I was just losing my marbles (right now, this seems like a stretch but being home with the kids dealing with mice made it feel possible) the bag shook itself all the way onto the floor - still not convinced, i picked it up - and opened it up while it shook to see a very injured baby mouse inside which resulted in me throwing the trap screaming, I knew the baby mouse was going to die and I couldnt....cope with it so I ran outside screaming and threw the whole trap into the bin (my neighbors, the ones who are already not my biggest fans due to my affinity for feeding dumpster birdz were outside and as I screamed I said IM SO SORRY WE HAVE MICEEE and they rolled their eyes)..ANYHOW NEVER in my life did I think I would be a sticky trap person- until that fateful day. I called my dad bawling and he showed up with sticky traps much to my dismay and we caught no less than 15 mice from my basement in 2 weeks. He came and dealt with the traps daily because after my vault baby experience I.... couldn't. I didn't even go into my basement for over a year afterwards. We filled our potential entry sites with steel wool, and I set the terrible forbidden sticky traps every year in Sept and we have been mouse less ever since.
I refuse to use sticky traps. It has been a few weeks now with my spice mixture in the stockings and I have not seen a mouse. I guess it is working.
I highly recommended them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can be vigilant about keeping a cat out of your bird's room/part of home, & I realize not everyone can especially if there are kids in the house, I suggest a cat. A true mouser doesn't play. It hunts & it kills fast, usually in seconds.

Reading about everyone's solutions, I can't help but think of cats. A real mouser is far more humane than everything else I've read on this thread. It never tires & it never says 'reset me in the morning, I'm done for the night'.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
If you can be vigilant about keeping a cat out of your bird's room/part of home, & I realize not everyone can especially if there are kids in the house, I suggest a cat. A true mouser doesn't play. It hunts & it kills fast, usually in seconds.

Reading about everyone's solutions, I can't help but think of cats. A real mouser is far more humane than everything else I've read on this thread. It never tires & it never says 'reset me in the morning, I'm done for the night'.
We have 4 outside cats. I can't trust them around Paco, now with my Amazon and Cockatiel I had two cats but trained them not to go near the bird and Paco cannot fly. The spice mix seems to be working. Thanks.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh. I had thought you could borrow/adopt a mouser.