• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mice are BACK! Is fresh peppermint safe in dresser drawers around CAG?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had mice invade closet and was successful with Irish Spring soap. I kept the closet door closed. My dresser is next to Paco, will fresh peppermint or peppermint tea be safe. I think the mice have gotten used to the soap. I have looked the entire room trying to figure out how the mice are getting in. For 7 years I had an Amazon and a Cockatiel in the same room and no mice. I keep Paco very clean, cage twice a day and floor vacuumed, food in air tight containers. I'm at the end of my rope!!!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fresh pepermint is safe

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It may deter them a tiny bit for a very short timeframe if at all but more than likely it will have absolutely no affect on them. I have tried this and even upped it to peppermint oil (do not use around birds- it is not safe). I tried the talc powder as well- none of these natural remedies work satisfactorily or the pest control people would not use traps and poisons.

I would check where your water and any other pipes enter your home as often they do not get properly sealed up leaving an easy entrance for mice.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry to sound morbid,
But there’s a channel on YouTube, Shaun woods, who does mouse trap mondays.

it has great tips about catching mice.
one that has helped me and seems so obvious (yet I’d never done it until hearing him suggest it) is to glue the bait item to the trap so they can’t tug it off easily. Use hard items glued on or soften hard taffy like candy in the microwave and then mould it around the end of the trap so it’s not removable and the mice have to tug.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to sound morbid,
But there’s a channel on YouTube, Shaun woods, who does mouse trap mondays.

it has great tips about catching mice.
one that has helped me and seems so obvious (yet I’d never done it until hearing him suggest it) is to glue the bait item to the trap so they can’t tug it off easily. Use hard items glued on or soften hard taffy like candy in the microwave and then mould it around the end of the trap so it’s not removable and the mice have to tug.
Love Mouse trap mondays!! He showcases some seriously awesome old traps and some very inventive and interesting ones.

I think once you become aware of the germs carried and serious dangers mice pose to pets, people and homes (or you have lived through a mouse plague or two) you will never again think that it is ok to not be morbid when it comes to mice around your home.

We use melted choc and peanut butter on our traps as they have to chew the traps to get it which obviously sets them off and they love chocolate as much as they love peanut butter.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Also, check where the lines for heat pumps and AC units enter your home. Also clothes dryer vents.

i understand wanting to catch them humanely and maybe release them...but my birds' health and safety (and mine) are more important. I have glued bait items to the traps also.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't know where you are, but the hantavirus can kill people. It's not worth it.

We use melted choc and peanut butter on our traps
But this does seem a little base, Shezbug. * Sigh * At least those mice die happy.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
While going to school in New England, one apartment where I lived had woodland deer mice now and then. My roommate and her fiancé insisted on humane traps. They would set them and leave for the weekend, so I was left with the relocation task. One day I was late for class, so I couldn’t release the most recent mouse guest beforehand.

So, I ended up sitting in the lecture with one little guy happily curled up asleep in a plastic container I rigged up with bedding and air holes. It was hilarious!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It may deter them a tiny bit for a very short timeframe if at all but more than likely it will have absolutely no affect on them. I have tried this and even upped it to peppermint oil (do not use around birds- it is not safe). I tried the talc powder as well- none of these natural remedies work satisfactorily or the pest control people would not use traps and poisons.

I would check where your water and any other pipes enter your home as often they do not get properly sealed up leaving an easy entrance for mice.
This is quite a mystery. The room is in the back of the house. There is a bathroom next to it. A few months ago I found mice in the closet, the bathroom is on the other side of the wall. They chewed up every thing. The thing is when we cleaned out the closet we found chew marks on the dry wall, they were trying to chew their way out. If they could in, why couldn't they get out? I will not use oils as I read they are dangerous. So its traps, Irish Spring and keeping an eye out for them. I've been here 11 years and for 7 years had an Amazon and a Cockatiel it the same room, why do I have a mouse problem now?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
While going to school in New England, one apartment where I lived had woodland deer mice now and then. My roommate and her fiancé insisted on humane traps. They would set them and leave for the weekend, so I was left with the relocation task. One day I was late for class, so I couldn’t release the most recent mouse guest beforehand.

So, I ended up sitting in the lecture with one little guy happily curled up asleep in a plastic container I rigged up with bedding and air holes. It was hilarious!
OMG that is too funny. This isn't bird related but I did rescue a tiny baby turtle at the elementary school parking lot. My daughter was with me and I didn't want the turtle to get run over. I put the turtle in my purse and he crawled out during the conference.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Peanut butter works great on snap traps i have also had success with sticky pads. We have signs of mice off and over the last year have caught 5.
We finally found how they are getting in they have eaten through the mortar between brickwork at the back of the house.
Its surprising how little a hole they need to get in.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I had a lot of mice issues in my old apartment, I tried lots of tricks and whatnot but the only thing that actually worked was the snap traps. I would just tie a string to them so I could retrieve them quickly from wherever I hid them and without fear of snapping them on my hand, and I would only set them when the birds were safe in their cage at night, which is when the mice are most active anyways. I found traps were most effective near doorways, electrical outlets, closets, anything that produces heat, and under the edge of kitchen counters. I also didn't use peanut butter I used an artificial attractant oil because on of my birds really loves peanut butter so I didn't want him thinking I was hiding snacks around just in case I did forget to disable one.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This is quite a mystery. The room is in the back of the house. There is a bathroom next to it. A few months ago I found mice in the closet, the bathroom is on the other side of the wall. They chewed up every thing. The thing is when we cleaned out the closet we found chew marks on the dry wall, they were trying to chew their way out. If they could in, why couldn't they get out? I will not use oils as I read they are dangerous. So its traps, Irish Spring and keeping an eye out for them. I've been here 11 years and for 7 years had an Amazon and a Cockatiel it the same room, why do I have a mouse problem now?
Do you have covers over your pipes to block the gap between them and the wall/floor? Usually they are placed on the pipe but can still move freely along the pipe if pushed away from the wall or floor- check yours and see if that is possibly how they are getting in. These things.. 40-90mm Pipe Collars - Pipe Shroud Rose Covers - Wall Hole Decorative Cover Cap | eBay

Mice do not need very much space at all to enter somewhere so check inside the closet and see if it is tightly joined everywhere or if there are small gaps mice may have entered through.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Do you have covers over your pipes to block the gap between them and the wall/floor? Usually they are placed on the pipe but can still move freely along the pipe if pushed away from the wall or floor- check yours and see if that is possibly how they are getting in. These things.. 40-90mm Pipe Collars - Pipe Shroud Rose Covers - Wall Hole Decorative Cover Cap | eBay

Mice do not need very much space at all to enter somewhere so check inside the closet and see if it is tightly joined everywhere or if there are small gaps mice may have entered through.

There are no pipes in the bedroom, no holes in the walls, one door. I have no idea how they are getting in. Window locked and sealed. When we cleaned out the closet where they were last year you could see they were GNAWING on the wall of the closet TO GET OUT OF THE CLOSET. I am totally stumped. Why didn't they leave the way they came in?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are no pipes in the bedroom, no holes in the walls, one door. I have no idea how they are getting in. Window locked and sealed. When we cleaned out the closet where they were last year you could see they were GNAWING on the wall of the closet TO GET OUT OF THE CLOSET. I am totally stumped. Why didn't they leave the way they came in?
Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought they were in a bathroom cupboard or something for some reason... should have maybe read back through the thread I am sorry.
I have seen mice use air vents, ill fitting skirting boards, duct work and electrical wires to find themselves easy ways to get about. I am not sure where they may be getting in but honestly they are pretty crafty sneaky buggers. I hope you find where they are getting in so you can block it up. I have to lure some out of our window frames- I saw one go in the frame while I was outside last night- they are on the move here at the moment so I am setting traps all over cos my current dog is a useless mouser lol.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They can squeeze in thru a very tiny hole. They follow water lines & once in they get into the walls they can squeeze into a room along baseboard, molding, window frames, etc.. I would use snap traps with a tiny bit of peanut butter. Place them only during the night time hours & check them in the morning.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought they were in a bathroom cupboard or something for some reason... should have maybe read back through the thread I am sorry.
I have seen mice use air vents, ill fitting skirting boards, duct work and electrical wires to find themselves easy ways to get about. I am not sure where they may be getting in but honestly they are pretty crafty sneaky buggers. I hope you find where they are getting in so you can block it up. I have to lure some out of our window frames- I saw one go in the frame while I was outside last night- they are on the move here at the moment so I am setting traps all over cos my current dog is a useless mouser lol.

I wasn't yelling, please don't think I was. My room mate and I just can't figure it out. He took a high powered flashlight and ran it along the walls, there is only one window. Paco is in the room with me. When they chew I heard them. Its about to drive me over the edge. Why not leave the same way they get in?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wasn't yelling, please don't think I was. My room mate and I just can't figure it out. He took a high powered flashlight and ran it along the walls, there is only one window. Paco is in the room with me. When they chew I heard them. Its about to drive me over the edge. Why not leave the same way they get in?
If they are coming in through window frames they may not be able to get back up to where they dropped in.

If you are willing to share a pic of the problem mouse area we might be able to offer some other suggestions for where or how they are coming in.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
If they are coming in through window frames they may not be able to get back up to where they dropped in.

If you are willing to share a pic of the problem mouse area we might be able to offer some other suggestions for where or how they are coming in.
Its just a dresser. The window is behind Paco's cage, and they aren't in the closet anymore. I don't know how to post a photo with cell phone I use a Canon camera, lol.