• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MIA...Busy Time

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Peep and I have moved 2300 miles cross country since my last post. Turns out he LOVES to ride in the car and is somewhat a social butterfly. If you approach him slowly. He is fascinated by snow. And loves to look out the window. Runs around on my bed in the mornings peeping non-stop till , I open the blinds. I finally got someone to come and set up my furniture so can now reach the living room blinds. Today he made it clear I was to open the blinds for him. He is very vocal when looking out the window. He has also become very demanding about going home when I visit my cousins next door and stay too long. He has even gotten down on the floor and headed for the door. And he thinks I should go to bed when he is ready for bed. He has me fully trained now. He has already become something of a celebirdy here and has had his picture taken a few times. Only skeptic is the facility director who seems to think bird seed overflow will attract rodents so she will be inspecting my apartment more often than usual. We have a new CAV who I really like. Is 30-40 minutes away. Peep is not impressed since she put him on a diet. Harrison’s High Potency, super fine. Coated with (sustainably produced) red palm oil and a probiotic every other day during conversion. Which could take months, she said. No promises but since he still has a few feather stubbles he MAY be able to regrow a few feathers. Little smarty has figured out already that if he holds out long enough his preferred food will appear in the evening. But he is eating little bits of the healthier food. He gets what he wants for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the late afternoon. I’m looking for recommendations for brand/style of full spectrum light for him. Cost is an issue since I’ll be fully retired soon. I bought a floor lamp once. I was expensive and kept falling over. It would be great if there is a good bulb that could go in a table lamp we both could sit under. And what about the light boxes marketed for Seasonal Affective Disorder? Photos once I’m fully unpacked and set up.

Attachments

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad you two made it to your new home safely! Peep looks like he’s living his best life :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice to hear you and Peep are doing ok! :hug9:

I don´t know much about the lighting though I´m afraid. Hopefully someone else will have some info :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hope you both settle in fast and love being at your new home.

@Ripshod might have some info about lighting.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In your case the full-spectrum lighting really would not work. Vit D3 is made by spreading the preen oil on the feathers and exposing to UV-B. Pretty much already ruled that out.
A desk lamp fitted with a 'daylight' led bulb sat on top of the cage will illuminate the immediate area, or a standard lamp with a higher power bulb would cover a much larger area. Pellets generally contain plenty of D3.

Boy, he looks so happy in the new home. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you are both doing well!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
In your case the full-spectrum lighting really would not work. Vit D3 is made by spreading the preen oil on the feathers and exposing to UV-B. Pretty much already ruled that out.
A desk lamp fitted with a 'daylight' led bulb sat on top of the cage will illuminate the immediate area, or a standard lamp with a higher power bulb would cover a much larger area. Pellets generally contain plenty of D3.

Boy, he looks so happy in the new home. :heart:
Well, I finally set up my ring light for my Zoom sessions today. He sat on a boing that is near it (not too near) for about an hour, chirping away and repeating his entire vocabulary (Baby) multiple times so I guess you and he have answered my question. And saved me some money. Thanks. And yes, I think he likes his new digs.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Look at Peep enjoying that wonderful window! :starshower1: Glad you arrived safely!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I can't believe I'm just finding this. I'm so happy y'all are getting settled in. :hug8: And that your training is going so well! :embarassed:

I am just smitten with those precious pictures of Peep! Thank you for posting them. :heart:

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Good to see you guys are doing well. Wow, quite a move for you.
Why is he on High Potency? I personally would NEVER feed my birds that again. Way too much nutrition for their little organs to handle. Stuffing lots more nutrition in those pellets does nothing more than overload their organs with unused vitamins and minerals. I found out the hard way with a sick bird and costly blood tests.
If he's eating them as part of his diet I would switch to regular.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Good to see you guys are doing well. Wow, quite a move for you.
Why is he on High Potency? I personally would NEVER feed my birds that again. Way too much nutrition for their little organs to handle. Stuffing lots more nutrition in those pellets does nothing more than overload their organs with unused vitamins and minerals. I found out the hard way with a sick bird and costly blood tests.
If he's eating them as part of his diet I would switch to regular.
He is on it per CAV recommendation because of his being PBFD+. And it is so far a SMALL part of his total diet. He likes avicakes but doesn’t eat the pellets in the avi cakes. He is SLOWLY beginning to eat fresh fruits and veggies, especially dark green leafy vegetables. And oatmeal. He recently discovered (air popped, unsalted) pop corn. He’s not a fan of sunflower seeds. But of course he likes millet. It didn’t take him long to discover he ONLY gets that in his cage so getting him into the cage is now super simple. I only put him in the cage when I am leaving my apartment, which is seldom. But I have recently come home to find him out and about. Twice. Time to invest in clothes pins. Little smarty.