• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer's and Budgies

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I'm thinking seriously of getting a Meyer's parrot. It would be housed separately (of course) from my two budgies. My vet hasn't said I shouldn't do it but is strongly cautioning me because of the size of the Meyer's beak and the risk of accidents (think budgies' feet). It seems that loads of people have budgies and larger parrots, including conures, which are known to be somewhat aggressive.

What do people think - is this automatically a bad idea? I don't really want a cockatiel (no offense to cockatiel fans) or other small bird.

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I'm thinking seriously of getting a Meyer's parrot. It would be housed separately (of course) from my two budgies. My vet hasn't said I shouldn't do it but is strongly cautioning me because of the size of the Meyer's beak and the risk of accidents (think budgies' feet). It seems that loads of people have budgies and larger parrots, including conures, which are known to be somewhat aggressive.

What do people think - is this automatically a bad idea? I don't really want a cockatiel (no offense to cockatiel fans) or other small bird. But I do want a somewhat larger single parrot because I think it will be a different kind of companion than my dear budgies.

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I'm not sure what that means!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I mean you could, If you really think it's a good idea and have done all your research to qualify for one of these big birds. They are a lot of work and take a huge commitment! If you were to get a Meyers, it would need seperate out of cage time than the budgies, they need at least 3 hours in my opinion of play, plus the budgie's time. It's a lot of work to juggle time with different size birds.

People might "bump" the thread so it's easier seen on the what's new page. :)

JustWingIt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Megan
I'd say go for it, as long as they are of course housed separately as you said, and i wouldn't let them out for free time at the same time in the same room.
I have a Indian Ringneck, who tries to bite budgies toes through their cage of they were hanging on the sides so i didnt even attempt actual introduction. But every bird is different, yours could become best friends!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Duplicate threads merged to contain all responses in one place.

I'm not sure what that means!
A ¨bump¨ just means it brings it to the tops of the ¨new posts¨ list, making it more visibile. Every time someone posts, it goes to the top of the list.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I have a gcc with 2 budgies, and haven't had any problems yet. There was this on incident where my gcc wanted to return the budgies a favour for preening him but I couldn't risk that big of a beak in a budgie's feathers (they didn't like it either) and so we got them separated for a few minutes. They are only together if they are being supervised. So I don't think you should hold off a Meyers but be careful, and I personally wouldn't allow any time with both being out in the same room. :)

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I'd say go for it, as long as they are of course housed separately as you said, and i wouldn't let them out for free time at the same time in the same room.
I have a Indian Ringneck, who tries to bite budgies toes through their cage of they were hanging on the sides so i didnt even attempt actual introduction. But every bird is different, yours could become best friends!
Thank you!

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I have a gcc with 2 budgies, and haven't had any problems yet. There was this on incident where my gcc wanted to return the budgies a favour for preening him but I couldn't risk that big of a beak in a budgie's feathers (they didn't like it either) and so we got them separated for a few minutes. They are only together if they are being supervised. So I don't think you should hold off a Meyers but be careful, and I personally wouldn't allow any time with both being out in the same room. :)
Thank you!