• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer’s Parrot

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
Hello! You may recognize me from the “Pionus as a first bird thread”. After reevaluating my lifestyle, I have decided to steer away from Pionus, and I started getting interested in poicephalus, specifically Meyers parrots. Meyers parrots were one of my first choices, and i consider them to be a good species.

:heart::rpllsf::meyers::heart:

These are my questions:
Do you think a Meyers Parrot would be fine with being left at home for a long part of the day? (I go to school)
Are they as voracious chewers as the Senegals?

Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most parrots like company, either humans or another same species bird. How long are you away?

Louise Powell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louise
I am usually away for around 7 hours!
I wake up early, though, so I would be able to spend at least an hour every morning with my bird. And the entire afternoons, too!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My Meyer's is a little wood chipper. Like many Meyer's and Poicephalus parrots she is very jealous and a bit bird aggressive. She lost toes after a fight through cage bars with a Senegal before I got her. She can be very sweet but doesn't like the other birds getting attention. As I type this she just swooped in and drove Darwin, my Timneh, off my lap.
That being said, she does appreciate having other bird company while in their cages. They just don't do well out together.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Meyers and sweet little birds. Then again all species are great in my eyes! If I only could have one of each I would if I could! :D

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a Meyers/Senegal hybrid. She’s an adorable little bratty lovey. Lol. Full of energy, adores me, hates everyone else, thinks she’s the biggest baddest bird in the house and has zero fear. She hates being in her cage, so I know she wouldn’t do well left alone for many hours a day. Not a huge chewer. She’d much rather play with a bell or swing upside down on a swing for the most part.