• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mexican Red-Headed & Red Lored

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
This summer I will be adopting a rescue parrot who will be our 3rd flock member joining a Lovebird and Green Cheek Conure. REALLY wishing I had the funds to adopt right NOW because the rescue I am adopting through has a Mexican Red-Headed Amazon that she said is relatively quiet and would do okay in my apartment, and would likely be a good match for me! I had never even considered an Amazon because I was under the impression they were all too loud for an apartment but the woman at the rescue said that is not the case and the Mexican Red-Headed is fairly quiet in comparison to other zons. An Amazon or African Grey have always been my two DREAM parrots!!! But I have decided I want to stick with New World parrots because of my Conure, so sadly, I have ruled out the amazing AG's. Anyhow, I can see the Mexican Red-Headed and Red Lored are actually two different species. My question is are they, as well as the Lilac-Crowned, similar in personality? Are all three, smaller and a bit quieter then other Amazons?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I had a foster 30 year old Mexican Red Head.
Sadly from a life of poor diet and a tiny cage, he passed a year or so after I decided to keep him.
Such a sweet bird, though he was only starting to trust me to hold him.
Quiet too, though others may not be.
Also much small than many of the other Amazon species.
I'd say they're a keeper!

Here's a thread I made when he passed, sadly Photobucket has blurred the photos.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have a Red Lored Male. He will be 13 in Sept and he's been with me since he was a baby. He is quiet, never ever screams. He will at times light up with Kazoo. It's only when they are out together.

I can honestly say they are pretty quiet and content parrots. But each is an individual. Chatter, laughing, and mimicking sounds he does this as well.

They are cute, have a great personality and are generally sweet.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I had a foster 30 year old Mexican Red Head.
Sadly from a life of poor diet and a tiny cage, he passed a year or so after I decided to keep him.
Such a sweet bird, though he was only starting to trust me to hold him.
Quiet too, though others may not be.
Also much small than many of the other Amazon species.
I'd say they're a keeper!

Here's a thread I made when he passed, sadly Photobucket has blurred the photos.
Gimli was truly adorable :heart:
Thank you for sharing

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I have a Red Lored Male. He will be 13 in Sept and he's been with me since he was a baby. He is quiet, never ever screams. He will at times light up with Kazoo. It's only when they are out together.

I can honestly say they are pretty quiet and content parrots. But each is an individual. Chatter, laughing, and mimicking sounds he does this as well.

They are cute, have a great personality and are generally sweet.
Thank you for replying :) They really seem like such wonderful sweet birds

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you for replying :) They really seem like such wonderful sweet birds
They are! Very much so. He was described by the breeder as sweet as pie. That was true!

Last edited:

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I am assuming it would not be safe to ever have my two smaller birds (Lovie and GCC) out at the same time with a Red Headed Amazon? I have read that Amazons need to be let out of their cage pretty much all of the time and will scream if the cage door is shut. But that often times they will be pretty good about hanging out on top of their cage or at a perch. How does one do this if their other birds can't ever be around a bird like an Amazon? My GCC wants to be out with me all the time too! Ideally I wish they could all be out all the time! o_O

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy is a not so quiet MRH Zon. But part of that is I'm really loud. A 2nd part is Buddy's life has been hectic since I got him. My Dad passed & the neighbors all told me they didn't know my Dad even had a bird. Since coming here we've been thru multiple changes to schedules & people in & out of the house. I just get him trained to not scream & something meddles w/ the sucess & I'm starting from scratch. That being said he doesn't scream in mornings or dusk like many deal with. His reason for screaming is always Mon walked away or is in another room or finally that evil phone :sour:

He doesn't like his door shut but will tolerate it periodically. As for mixing... Birds have been killed by other birds due to a mixing of species or mixing of sizes. I don't recommend it!