• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Metal Toxicity. Silver?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We know the dangers of ingesting toxic metals for birds. Does anyone have any links or knowledge where silver is concerned? I know silver has antibacterial properties and has been used in medicine internally.

I imagine a bird swallowing a big enough chunk of any kind of metal is serious but I'm thinking that some metals may pass through the system unchanged?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm curious about this myself, so I will be watching this thread. My gut reaction is it's probably not toxic, because colloidal silver is pretty commonly recommended as a natural remedy for birds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was actually reading about colloidal silver as a spray for birds, and good for bathing spray and antiseptic for cuts, nail trimming and such. Just Google "colloidal silver in bird's". Of course. You must make your own judgment on anything on the internet.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Silver mined in Australia is usually acquired as a by-product of lead, zinc and copper mining. Given the the products silver is found with I'd be fairly dubious about its safety where birds would constantly mouth/chew/lick it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Look at the basic elements chart and you will see that silver (and gold) is one of the heavy metals.
Heavy Metal - What Is a Heavy Metal? - Heavy Metal Definition

A list of toxic heavy metals
Heavy Metals - What are Heavy Metals

Lithium and cadmium are two of the worst and are present in batteries (and all wind farms and solar farms). And that is why I'm opposed to the so called "green energy" which is extremely toxic to the environment. Not only are birds killed by the wind turbines, but thousands of desert animals are killed by the flaking of the cadmiumteluride coating on solar panels that flake off onto the ground. Cadmium has a 38,000 year 1/2 life (not a typo).

Take a look at the blue people in this article.
Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

Trust, but verify with many, many legitimate sources. Sources that don't sell the product.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
There was a discussion about this on Parrot Forums. I remember it went on for weeks :wideyed: I cant remember what if anything was determined.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Merlin was prescribed colloidal silver 2 years ago for the summer.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO - at very accurate dosages colloidal silver may have minimal benefits, but it is far too easy to overdose with a parrot.
DMG ( DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium ) is a much safer alternative. I and several other owners I know have had success with DMG. You can't overdose with it and it has no side effects.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
If your bird gets scratched by a cat please head to a vet for anitbiotics. The antibiotic of choice is Clavamox. If it is a deep scratch and blood is seen, you have a 12 hour window to save your bird. Cat scratches are serious and needs an antibiotic not colloidal silver.

Gary

This was a quote from our @winged victory, nuff said ;)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Merlin was prescribed colloidal silver 2 years ago for the summer.
When Josie was injured by Target, the vet prescribed a topical cream containing silver, too.

Edit: This was in addition to Clavamox, Baytril, and metacam too, not on its own.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I admit, I read numerous articles about it online, and was nervous (but, I get nervous about all meds, natural or pharmaceutical where my birds are concerned). Sometimes you just have to trust your vet, who has an education I never will, including a PhD in a human medical field.