• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Metal fixings on perch

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi all one the metal part of one of my perches I believe is damaged as it caused a silver glitter to get onto my hands. I believe this is because I used force to screw it on without realising I didn't put the thing on right. After washing it if thr silver metal gillter doesnt come on will it be safe to use. The picture below shows you the bit I'm talking about.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It sounds like it might be nickel plated? If so, then the metal underneath is likely zinc which is toxic to parrots. They also shouldn't be allowed access to any metal, safe or not, that is flaking.

Mantis64

It sounds like it might be nickel plated? If so, then the metal underneath is likely zinc which is toxic to parrots. They also shouldn't be allowed access to any metal, safe or not, that is flaking.
Forget to mention its stainless steel

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mantis64

If silver flakes are coming off it, I'm almost positive that it's not solid stainless steel. You can get replacements from somewhere like Screwfix, but will need to measure what you need.

Washers: Washers | Nuts, Bolts & Washers | Screwfix.com
Wingnuts: Nuts | Nuts, Bolts & Washers | Screwfix.com
Yeah theres no flakes sorry if I made it seen like that it's more like a few tiny sand grain pieces so small and now that I washed it nothing is coming off do it could have been something else that was stuck on it thanks for the advice.