• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Metacam/meloxicam dosage question

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

I'm sorry to bother, but my green-cheek conure was prescribed 0.05ml of meloxicam/metacam twice daily by the vet and I accidentally gave him 0.07 or 0.08..? I'm not entirely sure how much he swallowed. I had to give him twice because the first time he shook his head and threw it all over the place. My question is, as stupid as it sounds, is an extra .02 or .03 dangerous considering he's such a small bird?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I second that, it is fine.

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, I’m sorry for the silly concern, I realize how it sounds. Been through a lot with my bird for the past few days and he’s healing slowly from a teflon poisoning incident, so I’ve been overly worried about every little thing.

All is good so far. Have a nice day!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Tammie123
Keep us informed, please. Teflon toxicity, we know is deadly, but if you are having success treating it we would all like to know what the procedure is. Any success with that stuff is rare and valuable.

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Well we were lucky we caught it fast and my bird was only exposed for about 5 minutes so his symptoms were mainly just heavy breathing. We brought him to the vet and they recommended an overnight stay on oxygen, accompanied by 2 injections that - in their words - "would make him pee more often" to prevent buildup of fluid in his lungs.
On top of that he received meloxicam to reduce inflammation (which he will keep taking twice a day for 5 days) and antibiotics for 10 days.

So far so good, they told me that the first 48 hours are the most important and if he gets past that, he's in the clear. Right now it's been about 44 hours so I'm feeling pretty confident. His breathing is still a bit heavy (which the vet said was normal), but he is being energetic today so luck might have been on his side. I think his overnight stay at the vet might have stressed him out a lot, which caused him to appear more sick than he is. Hopefully!

He's a cute spoiled little fella but I'm really glad he seems to be making it out of this ok. I hope I could provide enough information!

Solly

Strolling the yard
Im sure you wee bird will be fine. Meloxiocam is used very widely but I will not use it for any of my pets after my dog died after being prescribed it for arthritiS.

I do believe it’s far more dangerous than people imagine.

prior to getting it my dog was given blood tests, those tests were fine.. 2 weeks later those blood tests were off the scale and after a scan they found leisons on her liver She was subsequently put to sleep. I queried her behaviour twice with my vets as she went off her food. Twice they saw her, the third time she was hooked up to drips and scanned Then euthanised, I wasnt even able to take her home for a last night together as the vet didn’t believe she would make it.
like any medicines it’s so important, to be careful and vigilant.

my vets currently have it on my account that I will never use this drug again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
And yet my Jasper (GW macaw) was on metacam for at least 15 years while I had her. She bled to death from an aspergillosis colony eating through a major artery in her abdomen.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve used it for 2 of my dogs and also for my bird with no problems, a friend of mine has a dog that’s been on it for about 7years- possibly even longer.
My vet tested my dogs liver function before prescribing it and and my friends dog has regular checks for liver function with no problems as of yet.
I would guess that it’s just like any other medication… not all patients are suited to every commonly used medication out there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Tammie123 Thank you so much. That will give all of us a head start if anything so terrible happens to our birds. I have had very sick birds for the last 23 years so I have and O2 concentrator, Celexecob, and Lasik (to reduce fluid build up) - I would need only antibiotic and I can get them from my vet overnight - I live an hour and one half drive from my vet. That was great information.