• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Messed up Feathers?

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My 8 month old Goffins cockatoo, Frankie, has always had messy feathers. She plays hard, spends a lot of time rolling on back, and it really effected her tail feathers. Recently it's gotten more apparent, and her wings have been more messed up. I give her a bath at LEAST once a weak, usually more, she eats good, and absolutely does not pluck.

So I started thinking more about it.

She was orphaned at birth, and was hand raised, not really around other birds. Could that effect feather care? Like, her knowing how to take care of them?

I'm just not sure.

Any advice, etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Luv Bug plays hard like that, too. Up close, all of her feathers look really ratty and frayed. When they molt out some even have see-through sections they are so worn. :shrug2: She is 6 years old, gets showers almost daily, good pellets, etc. I'm thinking that might just be Goffins; not sure, she's our first 'too. Plus I hear babies are even harder on their feathers & they'll pretty up after a few years.
1128171246a-1-1.jpg

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Luv Bug plays hard like that, too. Up close, all of her feathers look really ratty and frayed. When they molt out some even have see-through sections they are so worn. :shrug2: She is 6 years old, gets showers almost daily, good pellets, etc. I'm thinking that might just be Goffins; not sure, she's our first 'too. Plus I hear babies are even harder on their feathers & they'll pretty up after a few years.
View attachment 267596
Good to hear from someone else in this situation! I've always had smaller birds, and have worked with some cockatoo's, but she's my first.