• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Merry (Early) Christmas Wonka!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Since Wonka's stay had to be extended (I originally thought she would only stay for a few weeks) I decided to buy her a rabbit run. It was delivered today and I set it up on the grass for a few hours for her. She is now in the garage since a massive storm is approaching.

I thought I would share some pics. :)

And for those that are interested:

- Wonka now rarely dips below the 300g weight range.
- She is finally on the proper medication (Flagyl and Trimethoprim/Sulfa).
- She now eats mostly on her own.
- Her poop has improved a lot!
- Since being on the correct medicine, Wonka has not passed another "egg thing".

If things go well then she will still get another week and a half worth of medicine. I'll then monitor her for another two weeks. If she continues to improve in that time she will be released! :D

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
WOW!!! She looks great! You have both come a long way. I bet she enjoys her early X-mas:)

Since she is on Flagyl, you might want to follow up with a probiotic or antifungal. From personal experience I have had it generate secondary yeast problems.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow Kelsey, you have done such a terrific job getting her health back to normal - she looks so much better all thanks to you! :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
She looks great. You have done such a good job getting her healthy again.
I question releasing her now though. I know it seems like the right thing to do, but..
she is now dependent on you for food-could get her in trouble if she tries to seek human companionship with the wrong person. The run is wonderful.:) I would give her some toys and branches to make her feel comfy. Do you think perhaps she would benefit from some perches, maybe natural ones?

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh honey how wonderful to see she is doing so well...she is GORGEOUS...

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
WOW!!! She looks great! You have both come a long way. I bet she enjoys her early X-mas:)

Since she is on Flagyl, you might want to follow up with a probiotic or antifungal. From personal experience I have had it generate secondary yeast problems.
Thank you! I think she has come a long way too. To think I might have followed the vet's advice and have her put to sleep! :eek: I'm so grateful for all the people on all the forums I posted about her. I got some wonderful advice and it saved Wonka's life for sure!

And thank YOU for all the fantastic advice you gave me. :)

I do have some probiotic at home so I'll use that as soon as I finish with her medicine. :)

Wow Kelsey, you have done such a terrific job getting her health back to normal - she looks so much better all thanks to you! :hug8:
Thank you! :) It is one of the best feelings in the world seeing an animal improve under my care.

Too bad my extended family think I'm crazy for spending time and money on "just a pigeon". :rolleyes: I honestly think non-bird people just don't get it.

:dance4: that is great, so what did the vet think she had?
Well, the vet was a whole different story. Biggest rip-off of my life! He charged me $70 for the consultation and told me I had three options because Wonka had liver problems. The options were:

- Have her euthanized.
- Do nothing until she dies.
- Do blood tests to see if it really is a liver problem.

Thanks to a fantastic member on the pigeon forum we managed to figure out that Wonka actually had an oviduct infection (the similarities between her pigeon with an oviduct infection and Wonka's symptoms were almost identical!)

She looks great. You have done such a good job getting her healthy again.
I question releasing her now though. I know it seems like the right thing to do, but..
she is now dependent on you for food-could get her in trouble if she tries to seek human companionship with the wrong person. The run is wonderful.:) I would give her some toys and branches to make her feel comfy. Do you think perhaps she would benefit from some perches, maybe natural ones?
Thank you! :)

I have been keeping my eye out for possible places to release Wonka once she is healthy. I found a place about 5 minutes away from my house that looks good. There are other pigeons there and they often get scraps from the local bakery.

Wonka is also scared of people now! She runs away from me as soon as I come into the garage. :( I guess since I've been stuffing a tube down her throat 4 times a day she's become very wary of humans. This is ultimately a good thing though since I wouldn't want her to get too familiar with strangers once she's released.

At the Wildlife Sanctuary I volunteer at we sometimes have to keep wild animals in captivity for months and months (turtles with broken shells need to regrow their shells before being released). They tend to do very well despite their stint in captivity and relying on humans. So I'm hoping the same will hold true for Wonka! :)

I didn't even think of adding branches! Thanks for the idea! :D Pigeons tend to "perch" on flat surfaces so I'll add some bricks in the run so that she can be a little higher off the ground if she wants. The branches will give her something to hide behind.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
oh honey how wonderful to see she is doing so well...she is GORGEOUS...
Thank you! :)

I've become quite attached to her. I never realised just how gorgeous pigeons are. They have the nicest shades of colour in their feathers. Sometimes Wonka has a shimmering purple colour in the sun while other times it's green or blue. :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So after she has flown the coop, who will inhabit the run?:p That's neat how she has so much color you can't see straight on. Gryphon is that way too.:)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Thank you so much for the update! She looks beautiful!
Glad you were able to figure out what was wrong and able to treat it!
:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It is great to see her doing so well. You have done a great job with her. I give you a big :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.