• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Merlin - possible pancreatic issues

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Meds went great the past three nights. I realized I was reaching for the syringe before I was ready, so I'm really trying to slow down and try to be more conscious of the position he's in. I make sure I change my shirt to something with a dense weave, but I've given up on towels. I need to see where his body is and where I'm gripping.

I wish I could get a finger wrapped around for him to grab with his feet, but my hands are so freaking small, and I'm still paranoid about compressing his chest even the slightest bit accidentally. If it looks like a wing is going to break free, I very gently cup my other hand over his body or rest him lightly against my chest. The night I hurt his wing I was using a t-shirt to towel, so I can confidently say this works better for us. The best advice I got was from the emergency night vet-- she isn't avian certified, but I think she sadly might see more budgies than some of the avian vets I've visited. She told me she also hates the bander's grip!! She advised trying to get a thumb right up under his lower mandible.

I have also always used the same phrases with my birds, and I think that is REALLY paying off now. When I have to wrangle him, I don't say anything until he's in my hand. When I have to touch or open the cage for any other reason, I say, "It's just me", the same way I always have when I'm moving around in my room after dark and don't want to spook them. This has been 100% effective-- I showed it to the vet techs! He was screaming and screaming at the slightest noise or touch because he thought every touch/sound meant he was about to be grabbed, but the second you talk to him (and the "code words" do make a difference), he calms down.

He had the fastest post-medicine recovery tonight (I've been timing how long he stays still and scared)-- he was preening after 5 minutes and came down for food after 20-30 minutes. Just a few days ago it took him more than an hour to relax enough to preen.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I'm so happy to hear Merlin is feeling better! Just reading through all of this, wow...what a journey!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Margo has been incredibly sedentary (just sits in silence all day long) and has had all kinds of bizarre droppings, lately. She also behaves very fearfully when eating-- preferring to eat when the covers are on or otherwise dashing to the bowl, grabbing a single pellet, then dashing back to her preferred perch in a panic and chewing for ages. This could all be anxiety over being in the big fight cage all alone, but Merlin's first symptoms were also a behavior change, before any of the physical stuff.

Vet gave her a physical exam (she managed to bite her on the nose when she was smelling for yeasty breath-- Margo is silent but spicy). Her beak is a bit overgrown, as I suspected, but that might be due to her terrible previous environment. Otherwise, she was in good condition, so the vet only recommended that I give her the same dose of Nystatin for ten days. She wouldn't normally recommend antifungals as a "maybe" precaution, but since Merlin suffered so much and they were together sharing food/space, she felt it was safest.

Poor Merlin is a lover, not a fighter, but Margo upheld the reputation of her sex by giving me a few proper bites. The upside of this is that she also bites the syringe (Merlin just closes his beak tight and turns away, like a baby refusing mushy peas).

Merlin is singing his little heart out all day long, and I think he has regained a little vision. He weirdly seems to know what's up with the medication?? He still avoids being grabbed, but now he opens his mouth and sticks his little tongue out, like he knows it will be over after he drinks the nasty liquid. He also recovers almost immediately instead of that awful frightened huddle.

I don't know what I'm going to do about their living arrangements when the medication is all over. I'm not sure that Merlin has regained enough sight to be safe in a big flight cage-- I'm so worried he will hurt himself. I'm also not sure if they can ever be housed together, again. We might do a supervised "date" to see if he still screams when she approaches his blind spots. Poor Margo seems happier in her crummy carrying cage (Merlin is in the Rolls Royce) because she is next to him-- she sits right against the wall, as close as she can get to him.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
You are doing amazing by sounds of it it’s a very hard situation

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Going to write the vet and see if Margo can stop the Nystatin at 7 days instead of ten. Her watery droppings stopped when I started treating, but that also coincided exactly with her slowing/pausing dropping little feathers (and now I'm seeing all the keratin fairy dust-- with all my budgies, I've noticed they are most miserable before their new pins are really obvious, not when they are ready for preening) and being moved to be next to Merlin. She is still hellbent on sitting in the same spot and only moving to drink/eat and ignoring all the toys I try!

I promise this has nothing to do with the fact that she chewed up my whole thumb and STILL didn't get down the whole .1cc.

Merlin also FULLY has his mojo back, my goodness. Pepe le Pew is back and a little farsightedness isn't going to stop him. My sister's boyfriend was here while we were at work and stealthily recorded him talking to himself. We all swear he is trying to talk-- I heard an almost crystal clear, "that's a good baby!", but now I'm second-guessing myself. At the very least he imitates my kisses flawlessly. I opened his little feeder door today and he stretched to lean his little head right under my nose. I thought I was never going to experience that again. :sad4:

Trying to take it a day at a time and not fret about Margo's inactivity or how/if I'm going to reintroduce him to her and his old cage. VERY grateful that we have a long weekend coming up just as the meds will finish, it will give me lots of time to observe them.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I'm so happy to hear things are improving and they are getting back to their old selves. :)
You've all had a rough time lately and I hope you enjoy your long weekend to get to spend lots of time with your babies. :)
Maybe you can sneak in a video or two of their antics. ;) xx

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura