• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mentally ill Amazon?

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Ok so im staying at a hotel in the Brazilian Pantanal and there is a Turquoise fronted Amazon that just sits in this one tree all day! It will occasionally go out to forage (in a tree about 10 metres away, but always returns to this one tree. He sits there screaming all morning until he eats but NEVER interacts with his own species (they fly over daily) and dosnt seem scared of humans!

This got me wondering if Parrots get the same sort of mental illnesses that humans can get, if so does anyone have one? Intrested if someone could shead some light on this thanks Tom B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Good question.

It could also be that he's an escaped pet, and just not fully adapted yet to life in the wild. I think pet birds at times can learn to live outside in moderate climates, though I wonder about him not wanting to be with his own species.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could be he was ostracized by the flock.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, they do. My friend has a sanctuary full of them.:(

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Could be but it seems unlikely, not many people live around here and the sheer number of wild Turquoise fronted Amazons makes me think that he is most likely not a pet. Im just intrested how this one managed to survive when most probably die before reaching maturity.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I wonder what is rewarding about this particular tree for this bird. What does he see that has him calling so often? Rhetorical question.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Good read here: http://www.naturalencounters.com/im...s/Anatomy_of_Parrot_Behavior-Steve_Martin.pdf I am going to say that this bird is probably native and is very comfortable in his territory. Perhaps has an injury not allowing flight? Have you asked any locals there about this guy?
There arent really any locals to ask other than the owner of the hotel who says hes been in that tree for years. He can fly though because he often goes to another nearby tree to forage. :confused:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
She says some are survivors of heavy metal poisoning, but the damage is already done. Some of it is subtle, but for some it can be things like sweet today, and tomorrow not even recognizing you. I made it sound like they are all that way, not true, but there are a few there.

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Wow, how sad. :( have you heard of any born like this?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, some of it can be genetic. Like double harlequins. There are only a few that have lived past a few months. I forget the exact science, but it is something like a reversed chromosome. They are all messed up.:(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how very sad...

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I think there is a good possibility he is an escaped pet who doesn't know how to interact with a flock. Or could be he can fly a little bit, but not enough to be with a flock. And of course there could be some other illness or injury preventing him from going far.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor guy. I feel bad for him. He looks HUGE from the pic!

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Yeh he is quite big i suspect its because he dosnt get any exercise, the tree he lives in has a lot of fruit and so do the trees nearby.

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Maybe, just seemed strange that hes never with a flock and screams loads when he sees one.

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Ah good idea sounds likely. Still seems weird that hes never with a flock and screams when he seems one though.