• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meloxicam storage - Meloxoral

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do I need to store this in the fridge?

I think I have given meloxicam to Nube when he had some skin issues a while back, but I don´t remember which of his medicines I put in the fridge now, and this bottle says it is for dogs only so not sure if that effects it´s composition and storage requirements.

IMG_20210602_161555.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Zara - I have always stored Meloxicam in the refrigerator. @Macawnutz may give some insight on this.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thankyou both. I reread the instruction leaflet and it says theres no special conservation requirements... but it also doesn´t have an ideal temp stated. We´re going into summer, and even the milk I normally keep in a cupboard gets put into the fridge as well as chocolate. So I´m thinking the fridge might be the best place....

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mine in fridge too

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Remember, almost all bird medications are off label from human or dog/cat medications. That bottle is the same concentration I have always gotten for my birds.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
refrigerator
Ok, it´s in the fridge :tup: I think that is for the best :)

That bottle is the same concentration I have always gotten for my birds.
Thanks, that´s good to know.

Store at room temperature 15-30C (
My bottle says nothing at all, so I would think that means it´s pretty flexible and could be kept anywhere more or less (?), so I think I will err on the side of caution and keep it chilled.

The instructions say to keep the syringe in the box with the bottle, so I´ve put the whole box in the fridge with the bottle, syringe and instructions inside it.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
9B9E82B8-6B1C-44A6-B9E0-E0D668B1665F.jpeg

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I don't see a brand for Zara's but Google says Pivetal should be room temperature...

Screenshot_2021-06-02-13-59-44-957.jpeg

...now admittedly, that doesn't answer the question about what to do if room temperatures are expected to deviate from the range. Storing 30F under the range is a bigger delta than storing 10F over.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My bottle says nothing at all, so I would think that means it´s pretty flexible
It just means that manufacturer didn't include the information. Medications degrade and lose their effectiveness when they're not stored correctly.

The bottle I have was dispensed by the vet with just a in house label.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Meloxoral: "Does not require any special storage considerations" [link] Refrigeration would be considered special.

Meloxicam is now a generic drug so every other manufacturer is going to use the original drug manufacturers (Boehringer Ingelheim) guidance for storage.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´ve put the box in the coffee and milk dark cupboard. Hopefully it will be ok in there :fingerscrossed: This medicine has really worked a treat, so I´m grateful to have it :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was told by my dogs vet to store hers at room temp out of sunlight and I was told the exact same thing by Burt’s vet for his bottle.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thankyou both. I reread the instruction leaflet and it says theres no special conservation requirements... but it also doesn´t have an ideal temp stated. We´re going into summer, and even the milk I normally keep in a cupboard gets put into the fridge as well as chocolate. So I´m thinking the fridge might be the best place....
The manufacturer of this product doesn't provide any specifc guidance for or against refrigeration, so far as I could find.

For most medications, "controlled room temperature" is the default storage condition. This means comfortably warm, but not too hot. Ideally 20°-25° (68°-77 °F), but excursions between 15° and 30° (59° and 86 °F) are usually acceptable for short periods.

Between the two, going too cold is generally safer than going too hot. Cooler temperatures tend to extend shelf-life and stability. Just don't let it get too cold - freezing can damage many medications. A cool dry place is best. But if your house is routinely over 80 degrees, Meloxoral should do just fine in the fridge.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just looked and mine actually have temperature guidelines on the boxes.

This one is for the dog... 1BB2155B-B638-41AF-B242-345FF09D1178.jpeg

This one is the cat one that was prescribed for Burt... 461DC874-4433-4D8A-9AFD-5C32EEAC3656.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So fridge or no fridge, this has to stay under 20-25C. Good to know. I think I did keep Nubes one in the fridge, the vet gave it me in a little vial.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How warm is your apartment?
I’d go by the room temp as per instructions (which I was told was the preferred way to store it) unless your home is usually out of their suggested temps. If your apartment is usually warmer than recommended temps then I’d personally store in the fridge.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How warm is your apartment?
Kitchen is reading at 20-21C right now. It´s a grey day, expecting some rain later. I don´t know what the temp in the cupboard is, I would think less, because it´s in the dark.
I will keep an eye on the thermometer as the sun comes back out. Maybe I´ll put a second one next to the box.