• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Melania!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
She is adjusting- Just do the best you can for her.
She needs you- she is special needs, and will require A LOT of extra care.
Heavy birds (like ekkies) are not like other species. Welcome to why people abandon Eclectus (companion ekkie lifespane is now only on average 8 years due to improper diet- stomach ache 24/7- which causes screaming, biting, plucking, abandonment). Once they reach maturity. Yikes- they will let you have it! Kinda like Amazons.

Listen to what people say around you- but apply it to YOUR life.
People said to me 'Macaw?! go for it!' (Rationally- yep. Financially- absolutely. Emotionally..... I needed to be honest with myself and current ekkie commitments).

Of course I love Ekkies, but the 'honeymoon' phase will fade. Now is the tine to start training, learning, and expending massive amount of time-

We are here for you, just ask away. But what you are feeling is compketely normal, and more than likely going to be part of you normal life (and the life of all your flock- both ekkies especially!)

Thank you for your reassurance, it really helps!

8 YEARS!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT, IT'S HORRENDOUS!

I started with target training her and she is doing good but she was scared of the stick I usually use, so actually like you just said, I've been using a chopstick and she's a lot better with it. She's also scared of like, I don't know how to explain it, clothing items that aren't normal? When I put on my coat she screams so I've started not doing it around her not to spook her. Globes, brooms, sunhats and scrunchies. She actually ripped a scrunchie out of my hair this morning :roflmao:

She is still extremely sweet, I think part of her is just anxious to get out of my room and it could be a reason she's screaming so much. She keeps climbing down her cage and attacking my door and trying to run out every time I open it, I feel so bad.

Literally I have never met a bird who steps up SO well. You can even think about having her step up and she'll hold her foot up for you.

I honestly cut out pellets completely which I know I shouldn't have done but her wing flipping is constant, especially when she's relaxed.
I see a couple pin feathers under her wings!! Her blue is so gorgeous.

She would kill for an almond, I usually give her an unshelled almond every day and she dumps it in her water bowl and finally reaches a conclusion that it's ready for her to crack open and eat. I LOVE THAT SHE EATS WITH HER FEET, it gives me a strange joy every time she grabs something with her foot to eat it! Basil has been trying to do this as well but isn't super balanced enough yet!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to play with toys? I got her about 5 in her cage and she's not into any of them. Do I just have to find other ways to give enrichment?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's taken months for Monaco to enjoy things, and begin to play. I'm convinced that it is food related, because if the toy can hold a treat, I have turned it into a foraging opportunity. I also show her frequently where it is. I don't think she understands hidden food (still) so if she can't see it she doesn't try for it. Last month she finally shredded paper, and then tiny balsa blocks. Every now and then she likes to attack her leather and Marbella toy. It helped a lot to play with Mr Theo (the sheltie) in front of her, but she really likes dogs. Sometimes I break bits of toy and then hold them for her to check and chomp a little. If I give them to her she will throw it. Later she will check it out on her own. It will take time to get there and to get to know each other.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
She's been really weird today and I don't know if I should be worried or not
She will usually do anything to be on you and she does her little meeps whenever I wake up in the morning.

She wouldn't come out if the cage and just stayed there with her foot up and her beak slightly open and cracking her beak not really grinding it. The foot up threw me off because that obviously means contentment but it didnt really seem like it.

Does cracking the beak mean anything? Or am I just looking too much into it and she's grinding it in a different way.

Has anyone used sock sweaters for your pluckers? How did that go? She gets really cold I usually turn on my space heater for her (ceramic of course)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
More than likely- she is still adjusting.... however....

How is she eating? drinking?

Cracking a beak (instead of grinding) can mean a multitude of things- Question: is she ANYWHERE near the male? You are dealing with some of the most hormonal birds on the planet.

NEVER use a sock. they make felt type sweaters. Socks can potentially kill you bird very quickly as they will get their toes stuck and unravel- but not release them. The felt type are usually used for self mutilators- pluckers under the right care usually do recover without that sort of treatment.

What does her enclosure look like? Can you take a photo?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
More than likely- she is still adjusting.... however....

How is she eating? drinking?

Cracking a beak (instead of grinding) can mean a multitude of things- Question: is she ANYWHERE near the male? You are dealing with some of the most hormonal birds on the planet.

NEVER use a sock. they make felt type sweaters. Socks can potentially kill you bird very quickly as they will get their toes stuck and unravel- but not release them. The felt type are usually used for self mutilators- pluckers under the right care usually do recover without that sort of treatment.

What does her enclosure look like? Can you take a photo?
Yes ill take a photo, she's in a whole seperate room as Basil. She does have a spot under my desk where she gets kind of snappy, I'm wondering if that's what causing it, I'm trying to make sure she doesn't go under there.

There's not a lot of toys because I'm trying to figure out what she likes, I have two up top that she likes ti chew on and a stainless steel measuring cups she likes to throw around. Sorry about how messy it is it's cage cleaning day tomorrow.

When she is eventually out of quarantine will they be able to see eachother at all or should I permanently keep them apart? Always supervised.

She is eating well FINALLY she hasn't been till yesterday, she does drink pretty well and her poops look normal, shes gaining back some coloured feathers!

Attachments

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Yes ill take a photo, she's in a whole seperate room as Basil. She does have a spot under my desk where she gets kind of snappy, I'm wondering if that's what causing it, I'm trying to make sure she doesn't go under there.

There's not a lot of toys because I'm trying to figure out what she likes, I have two up top that she likes ti chew on and a stainless steel measuring cups she likes to throw around. Sorry about how messy it is it's cage cleaning day tomorrow.

When she is eventually out of quarantine will they be able to see eachother at all or should I permanently keep them apart? Always supervised.

She is eating well FINALLY she hasn't been till yesterday, she does drink pretty well and her poops look normal, shes gaining back some coloured feathers!
IMO: She is nesting. 9-11 months of nesting in the wild for females... she is finding a 'location'....so females will be hormonal if given the opportunity- if they see a male, this increases. She will grow feathers NOW, then remove the feathers (pluck) to try and nest build. Your good care is paramount- this wonderful bird has made a place in your heart. Keep up the good work :)

There should be OODLES of things to destroy- like Sola wood.... I would be curious what she does with it....?

Unfortunately- with your current enclosure situation.... they should permanently be separated. Ekkies are unlike other birds. They are 'special' ... but amazing in their own right :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Do you have a pic of basils enclosure?
Maybe some of those elements or even an enclosure change might help.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
IMO: She is nesting. 9-11 months of nesting in the wild for females... she is finding a 'location'....so females will be hormonal if given the opportunity- if they see a male, this increases. She will grow feathers NOW, then remove the feathers (pluck) to try and nest build. Your good care is paramount- this wonderful bird has made a place in your heart. Keep up the good work :)

There should be OODLES of things to destroy- like Sola wood.... I would be curious what she does with it....?

Unfortunately- with your current enclosure situation.... they should permanently be separated. Ekkies are unlike other birds. They are 'special' ... but amazing in their own right :)
Ive thought about getting some Sola wood, I'll order some.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
How is the wing flipping? eating habits?

More toys= more better, lol. I think you will find that extensive chewing is going to be paramount :)
She's been doing a lot better eating, i took her off of pellets.

Her wing flipping isnt as bad but still DEFINITELY there. It's getting better. Thank you for asking!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

When you say seperated, do you mean like never even see each other, or can they go outside together or like her be on the playstand and him in his cage?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I believe one of the biggest challenges of Eclectus owners is understanding the motivation behind their very drastic actions/behaviours/diet. Understandably all birds are hormonal- but eclectus have albeit 'unique' nesting habits which proves they are much more hormonal than other species. Some sub species are more tolerant than others, but all go through similar phases:

Males go through a 'troublesome two's'... 5 months of age as their hormones start raging. Females at this same stage are quieter, but will 'test' you.
Then around 2 years old (+/-)- They both get hormones to a massive extent! females more than males- they will seek out any opportunity to breed (sexual frustration). Combining the two very different sexes only increases the probability of hormones- aggression, screaming, biting and breeding (especially for females who might pluck trying to create nesting material (that is why females are such heavy chewers).

As an example, by ensuring that only 1 male 'lives' with me (companion in my living room out of his enclosure all day- all other birds are in the aviary/bird room). I am his mate, so I can still coddle, play and be with him (although he does show sexual interest in me... my fault for bad habits). If I was to introduce a female to our relationship? It is much different. After a cuddle session he will lunge and throw fits at Saya (being territorial), I know if I let him try- he would kill her during one of his tantrums (squash her like a mouse)..... So they are NEVER out at the same time now that his hormones are in swing.

This however is not always the case, but putting males and females together increases the possibility, especially in close proximity with territory of enclosures (like putting the female on top of the males cage), humans, etc. So precautions need to be taken.

Do work on target clicker training, work on recall.... and dont enforce bad behaviors (my male taking naps under the covers in between my breasts- yeah I should have nipped that in the butt earlier). These are my opinions, but I would take head having both together especially unsupervised. But if you do, training should start soon-

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
You guessed it! Anna's bedroom window blinds!
I love it when people post pics like this. Makes me feel better about my blinds. I am still catching up. She seems to be a lot happier. Thats great. Oh, the wanting to go under your desk is totally normal. Don't let her, as has been said, or she may become so territorial that she will act out of character and defend it from all comers. I learned that the painful way. They are determined when they feel their hormones kick in so look around for private spaces and block them. Its a good sign though. My girl is twitchy with me, wants to be close friends and I spend all of my time making sure I don't touch her when she is in her mood or she will try to feed me within seconds. Its not easy though.

As mythic55 said, they are birds that take a bit of effort. She is what I call the Arabian horse breed of the bird world. Dependant, emotional, smart and inquisitive but she will settle down. Its early days. The screaming is not normal that I have found. In the beginning Ruby would scream if she spotted something outside that worried her or as a way to say I want attention or I feel mentally unsafe. Usually now she will do it just for fun. Maybe once a week or two for a few seconds.
I am wondering if Melania knows she isn't an only bird and is frustrated she can't see and assess him and therefore feels uncertain. They are nosey. Its a control thing. They do need to feel secure and check out new things in their tree, meaning your home. If I wear a new colour or a towel on my wet hair Ruby will give a slight hiss and I have to let her know its me as she tends to go into what appears to be a trance for a second or two. Her history is not the best. It is temporary and I used ear plugs at the beginning.

mythic55 is also correct about not allowing intermingling. Your guys should not be together after quarantine. My girl would chomp another bird if she was out in the same room, even if that other bird was inside a cage or she was caged and another parrot went to her. I don't know if its her intention to kill or she doesn't realise how strong she is but would never take a chance. Its wired in to her brain, to find and defend her area so not unusual for her to fight if threatened. I have heard too many stories of birds having their escape route blocked and fussing to risk it, even after they know their flock.

My guys do see each other though. Merlin my Alexandrine learned fast to keep his toes and tail away from Ruby in the outdoor aviaries. They had been introduced over time but always secured in their cages indoors when together at night. I have tiny wire but she can still cause a some damage. She never drew blood but wanted to pull his tail feathers if he happened to have his back to her and they pushed through to her side. They have a good separate relationship but I am watchful. Inside I wheel them next to each other for sleep and when out they never share a room. It did help Ruby adjust and Merlin gives her what I cannot, a bird point of view. They preen at the same time, go to their sleeping perches at similar times, alert each other and prefer to have their food bowls near to each other. I feed Ruby first and Merlin knows to wait his turn. Its now routine.

I promise Melania will improve. She is learning life is good with you and unlearning some other mannerisms she created for herself to cope, before you. The screaming will stop. You are going deaf, temporarily but you are really doing fine. Not much longer and everything will be automatic and you will wonder why you were struggling. Believe me she appreciates what you do for her. Her odd reactions will fade away shortly. I love the photos.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I love it when people post pics like this. Makes me feel better about my blinds. I am still catching up. She seems to be a lot happier. Thats great. Oh, the wanting to go under your desk is totally normal. Don't let her, as has been said, or she may become so territorial that she will act out of character and defend it from all comers. I learned that the painful way. They are determined when they feel their hormones kick in so look around for private spaces and block them. Its a good sign though. My girl is twitchy with me, wants to be close friends and I spend all of my time making sure I don't touch her when she is in her mood or she will try to feed me within seconds. Its not easy though.

As mythic55 said, they are birds that take a bit of effort. She is what I call the Arabian horse breed of the bird world. Dependant, emotional, smart and inquisitive but she will settle down. Its early days. The screaming is not normal that I have found. In the beginning Ruby would scream if she spotted something outside that worried her or as a way to say I want attention or I feel mentally unsafe. Usually now she will do it just for fun. Maybe once a week or two for a few seconds.
I am wondering if Melania knows she isn't an only bird and is frustrated she can't see and assess him and therefore feels uncertain. They are nosey. Its a control thing. They do need to feel secure and check out new things in their tree, meaning your home. If I wear a new colour or a towel on my wet hair Ruby will give a slight hiss and I have to let her know its me as she tends to go into what appears to be a trance for a second or two. Her history is not the best. It is temporary and I used ear plugs at the beginning.

mythic55 is also correct about not allowing intermingling. Your guys should not be together after quarantine. My girl would chomp another bird if she was out in the same room, even if that other bird was inside a cage or she was caged and another parrot went to her. I don't know if its her intention to kill or she doesn't realise how strong she is but would never take a chance. Its wired in to her brain, to find and defend her area so not unusual for her to fight if threatened. I have heard too many stories of birds having their escape route blocked and fussing to risk it, even after they know their flock.

My guys do see each other though. Merlin my Alexandrine learned fast to keep his toes and tail away from Ruby in the outdoor aviaries. They had been introduced over time but always secured in their cages indoors when together at night. I have tiny wire but she can still cause a some damage. She never drew blood but wanted to pull his tail feathers if he happened to have his back to her and they pushed through to her side. They have a good separate relationship but I am watchful. Inside I wheel them next to each other for sleep and when out they never share a room. It did help Ruby adjust and Merlin gives her what I cannot, a bird point of view. They preen at the same time, go to their sleeping perches at similar times, alert each other and prefer to have their food bowls near to each other. I feed Ruby first and Merlin knows to wait his turn. Its now routine.

I promise Melania will improve. She is learning life is good with you and unlearning some other mannerisms she created for herself to cope, before you. The screaming will stop. You are going deaf, temporarily but you are really doing fine. Not much longer and everything will be automatic and you will wonder why you were struggling. Believe me she appreciates what you do for her. Her odd reactions will fade away shortly. I love the photos.
Thank you so much for this long post!!
She isn't screaming half as much as she was but it's still a problem. Instead of just randomly screaming, she only does it when she wants something i have, other people are here, she sees something she's afraid of like gloves, or if ari barks.

I made her a toy yesterday, she stared at it for a second and then instantly threw it off her cage, i put it back up and she just looks at me like 'How. Dare.You.'

I've quickly learned that if the door is even a crack open, SHE WILL SOMEHOW GET OUT.

My bedroom? What is that I don't need that we can throw everything away to put play stands in for her :p

I also put a 2x4 of untreated pine in her cage for her to chew on, she is not very impressed

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Me and my girl cuddling after work..
She goes to sleep around 8 and when I come home at 10 she won't stop chatting and won't go back to sleep until I hang out with her for a little bit!

She still usually has those twitches when she gets super relaxed at night, but its not even close to as bad as it used to be.

Attachments