• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Melania!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I know this is stupid
But I'm really nervous because she's a rescue, I don't know if that makes sense or if I just sound really stupid.
I'm her 4th or 5th home and I just want to make everything nice for her and I don't know if there's anything different I should do than bringing home a non-rescue bird.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
f

I thought she was red sided when I first saw her but I think she's vos mixed with others, not super sure.
Her beak isn't overly long and her head looks rounded rather than boxy if that helps. I think her breast feathers will be similar to the blue/purple she has but hard to be sure with just one pic and one angle.
You are doing fine, so will Melania. It takes a while to develop bad habits/reactions and longer to let them go. She will be jumpy for a bit expecting certain treatment and responding accordingly. She will not be sure why she is there but generally they live in the moment. Move slowly, talk constantly , give her quiet time to nap and cover half the cage and the top so she feels safe until she works you out.

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Congratulations, she is a beauty! And so lucky to find herself in such a safe, caring and permanent home! :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I know this is stupid
But I'm really nervous because she's a rescue, I don't know if that makes sense or if I just sound really stupid.
I'm her 4th or 5th home and I just want to make everything nice for her and I don't know if there's anything different I should do than bringing home a non-rescue bird.
There's nothing stupid about anything. ;) You're doing just fine getting ready for her...even with our best intentions, sometimes a bit of doubt creeps in...it's a natural thing that happens to us all.

Again..you're doing fine! :yes3:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I'm getting really excited!! 6 days!!! I'm not going to lie when I first signed the papers and everything so far I didn't think I'd be excited; I just got Basil, I've been super stressed lately.
But I'm really looking forward to be with her! I'm counting down 24/7! It's like all I can think about at work right now.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
2 days!! I literally have no other idea what else to do so I rewashed her whole cage again. Thank the Lord I picked up a shift tomorrow to distract me, it's all I can think about!!! I honestly probably won't let Basil and Mel really see each other with them both out until maybe when it gets warmer and we can all 3 go outside. Once me and her are used to each other I'm hoping to start target and harness training asap. Now that I've had a harness trained bird that I CAN TAKE OUTSIDE WITH ME! It's just so amazing! I made an appt for blood testing and disease testing and an overall checkup the day after I got her, which I wouldn't recommend but the next available date would be the 27th. Candi says she would categorize her as a nervous plucker and said she thinks she'll acclimate in my home really fast though. I just got off the phone with her, so excited! I also just got off the phone from talking to Melania and her little whispers into the phone!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Today is the day!! I swear it was impossible to go to sleep last night. Time is going so so slow now because I don't pick her up till 5pm and its 8:30am... honestly I'm more excited than I was for baby Basil, I wonder if it's because I met her first? I really like the cage they gave me for her. When I eventually upgrade her I'll probably give it to Isla and Bee. I've never had to bird proof my room so that took me awhile. Thankfully I had all the cords put together and away already because my rabbit is free roam. I'll post innumerable pictures tonight! I'm gonna go shopping and buy some fresh food for chop for her. Basil is not super into chop from a food proceessor, he likes bigger pieces! But the foster home has bern making her chop with a fp so I'll do that today. I'm going to get get ready because I'm practically rambling now! Thank you guys for following along with me about this!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
1583346084187.png Chop!! I messaged the foster family to ask about some of her favourite foods which I'll put fresh on the chop
In it I used
Kale
Bok choy
Green apple
Kiwi
Mango
Dragonfruit
Rasberries
Blueberries
Canteloupe
and chia seeds!

Last edited:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
MEET DARLING MELANIA!!!!! as soon as I walked into the rescue she started bobbing her head at me! I went over to her right away and the foster damily gave me 3 pages of info of things theyve learned about her. She slept on my shoulder on the whole ride home. She does keep screaming when i leave the room but it's not too bad. She is legit the friendliest and sweetest bird I have ever met.
From the past couple hours I've heard her say
I love you
Hi
Hello
Come here
Yabba dabba
And a couple other things i couldnt make out. Im so glad i went with getting her i dont regret it at all!
Super tired, will type more tomorrow!

Attachments

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yabba dabba, Mel!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Melania...you are coming to a home filled with love...:heart:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
As soon as I woke up today she said hello and climbed onto the door for me to let her out :)
She's grinding her beak on my shoulder right now. I wonder if she ate last night because she didn't really eat more than a piece of apple last night. I'm gonna go give her some chop and see if she goes for it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I wonder if she ate last night because she didn't really eat more than a piece of apple last night. I'm gonna go give her some chop and see if she goes for it.
Go for it. :)

I've found that most birds "shut down" from eating when they're moved from one place to another...it's not that unusual for something like that to happen...;)