• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Melania!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
To those who have read my posts from before, against my better judgment I've decided to listen to my heart and I've decided to go ahead and adopt the female Eclectus, Melania! Here's a pic :) We get her on March 4th!

I will be posting updates here once I get her about any behavioural problems, what's she like, and updates on switching her diet etc.
1581736076812.png

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
How exciting!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
You followed your heart, that's what matters! Now you've jumped in head first! Enjoy it, we're all here to help with bumps along the road. She is gorgeous!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Is she a Vos? A grand?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I bet you'll get some clues once you get her home and settled...the breast feathers are going to be a little bit of a mystery for a while.

Monaco's owner was/is convinced she's a hybrid, but I think she's a moluccan grand. Back then we all knew even less, but I think hybrids would have been particularly difficult. I can't know, of course. It's just that what I think. They have been adjusting the taxonomy and subspecies... I put it in the stickies or maybe in its own post.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
If you take a picture of her face (eyes) and her tail feathers I might be able to tell you with some certainty.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
If you take a picture of her face (eyes) and her tail feathers I might be able to tell you with some certainty.
Thank you! I haven't researched and met enough subspecies to be good enough, I hope one day though!
I'll post some when I get her and tag you :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
To those who have read my posts from before, against my better judgment I've decided to listen to my heart and I've decided to go ahead and adopt the female Eclectus, Melania! Here's a pic :) We get her on March 4th!

I will be posting updates here once I get her about any behavioural problems, what's she like, and updates on switching her diet etc.
View attachment 328418
Ooooooo, a beauty! Hellooooooo Melania!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! She’s gorgeous! :loveshower:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
The main lady from the rescue, drove to my house, an hour away and offered me a nice cage for $100! It's taken me about 3 hours to put it together since it used to be Mel's cage and it had no instructions, but so worth it. It doesn't come with the seed guard but I don't mind that at all! With the play top, if you have the try in there, there's no grate to hang toys on or for the bird to climb on inside, I just didn't put the tray and just put newspaper underneath the perch! It's big enough for her to spread her wings out in all directions, but hopefully one day I can get her a cage about as big as Basil's when I move!
I set her cage up in my room :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I will be her 4th home (and now forever home), and I want to make it as good as possible! Do your ekkies like a certain type of toy usually? Basil has liked shredding finger trap textured toys like Isla does. I just texted Candi (The main lady) if Mel had any interest in toys usually and what she likes, but would love your guys' input!

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
These are pascal's favorites so far. I have the medium of the first link, large from the second link, and medium from the third. He also LOVES bells. I always remove the little clapper inside from bells because I feel like they're so unsafe, but I have a metal cylinder bell next to a regular bell so he bangs them together to make noise.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I will be her 4th home (and now forever home), and I want to make it as good as possible! Do your ekkies like a certain type of toy usually? Basil has liked shredding finger trap textured toys like Isla does. I just texted Candi (The main lady) if Mel had any interest in toys usually and what she likes, but would love your guys' input!
1. Rattles: I take sea shells with holes in the and put hemp rope through it to loop it on. I hang/tie them on his natural branches and he has to figure out how to get it off- he is a smart buggar. I hate bells- as they start to mimic the 'bell' sound. The sea shells are a gentle rattle (like a wind chime).
2. Palm leaf origami (I do it myself and hide nuts in the origami).
3. I braid seagrass with 'found' objects.
4. Bouqiuets of ecalyptus and roses and hide treats in the rose blossoms.
5. Sola wood anything
6. Loofa with things hidden in it

And as @reffek94 mentioned- that pinneaple toy is a hit. Favorite colors are red and orange for most parrots.

Note: I dont want to rain on the parade- but be sure to get her tested with two different tests for PDD (as they are not extremely accurate). I personally am on the board for one of the larger rescues- over 50% of the birds are positive- so I wear scrubs and strip before coming in my home so as not to infect my flock.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
1. Rattles: I take sea shells with holes in the and put hemp rope through it to loop it on. I hang/tie them on his natural branches and he has to figure out how to get it off- he is a smart buggar. I hate bells- as they start to mimic the 'bell' sound. The sea shells are a gentle rattle (like a wind chime).
2. Palm leaf origami (I do it myself and hide nuts in the origami).
3. I braid seagrass with 'found' objects.
4. Bouqiuets of ecalyptus and roses and hide treats in the rose blossoms.
5. Sola wood anything
6. Loofa with things hidden in it

And as @reffek94 mentioned- that pinneaple toy is a hit. Favorite colors are red and orange for most parrots.

Note: I dont want to rain on the parade- but be sure to get her tested with two different tests for PDD (as they are not extremely accurate). I personally am on the board for one of the larger rescues- over 50% of the birds are positive- so I wear scrubs and strip before coming in my home so as not to infect my flock.
I was planning on getting her tested and her blood stats, thank you for the reminder!