• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet toady

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
We found toady in the garden and decided to keep him/her. It's a pretty nice little guy to have around. 20220624_170131.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are going to keep him you would need to have a specific habitat for him, to be blunt you cant just bring a creature into your home as they are nice to have around

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
He/she would be happier in the garden. They are used to getting their own food and they help with bugs.
We don't ever get toads and the weather is very dry and hot. I am trying to find his species so that I can make his terrarium more specific to him. And they actually will live about 4times longer in captive. I am currently doing research while he is in his terrarium @Wardy :) I am guessing he really likes water because he's always jumping into his water so he has a moist environment, he has only been with us for a day. I also have dogs, and by letting it go I risk my dogs trying to hunt it.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Toads are in decline in most areas of the country. They live their whole lives in a small area. This one looks to be at least 2 years old so has likely done fine this whole time with dogs. If you return it, and I hope you do, put it in the exact spot you found it. It has its whole life mapped out. It's extremely unlikely to have just wondered in. It's almost breeding time for them.

Sorry..they are awesome ! But you can buy a pet store frog or reptile if you are fascinated by them. Nature is so fragmented and under so much stress as it is.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We don't ever get toads and the weather is very dry and hot. I am trying to find his species so that I can make his terrarium more specific to him. And they actually will live about 4times longer in captive. I am currently doing research while he is in his terrarium @Wardy :) I am guessing he really likes water because he's always jumping into his water so he has a moist environment, he has only been with us for a day. I also have dogs, and by letting it go I risk my dogs trying to hunt it.
Its good the toad has settled in however a wild animal is a wild animal human intervention should always be kept to a minimumm, finding a toad and bringing it home might seem a good thing to do but is it ?

You dont know what species of toad it is.
What are you feeding it ?

By letting it go you are risking your dogs hunting it ? i cant confirm this as i dont know the species of the toad you have however highly unlikely your dogs would hunt toads as toads poison dogs, i am not saying a curious dog would bite/eat a toad

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You’ve toadnapped a toad! Please put him back. I love toads too, but you can love them & not own them.

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
I also live in a dry environment and discovered a toad out in my garden when I was younger, and I took him in. I did research, had an old terrarium from when I owned fish, and thought he was going great. He died after two months, much to my suprise.

Please be super careful with wild animals! They are sensitive and unused to what we have, no matter how well they have seemed to adapt. If he was out in the dry environment, he is most likely suited to deal with it. This is no judgement, by the way!! Toads are amazing, and we all love them, but make sure he's safe and happy out in the wild :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm 100% considering letting him free now that all of you have let me know. I just don't know if all of my family will be willing. I trust you guys, but the rest of family deos not know you so I'll try my best.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
@Greylady1966 @outmaww @Sparkles99 @Wardy @Pixiebeak tomorrow I will release toady :) luckily, all of my family took it well when I told them he should be set free.
Awesome!!!!
I have 4 dogs. And my yard toads nearly only active at night. We've done well.

You can set out a toad house and a flowerpot saucer and one might decide to move in. Lots of fun stuff in internet.

But its important to put this girl back as close as possible to where you found. She will have her own hibernaculum.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Awesome!!!!
I have 4 dogs. And my yard toads nearly only active at night. We've done well.

You can set out a toad house and a flowerpot saucer and one might decide to move in. Lots of fun stuff in internet.

But its important to put this girl back as close as possible to where you found. She will have her own hibernaculum.
Do you think I can build her a nice area for her to be in next to my garden or in my garden and that she might she might stay?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Im sure she already lives around your garden :)

But yes she or she other may move into something you set up.

I had a broken flower pot I had tossed up by my house to deal with later. Then a happy toad moved in and used it for a couple of years!
I also tried to make a toad home but nobody moved in. Lol

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you:laugh:
Im sure she already lives around your garden :)

But yes she or she other may move into something you set up.

I had a broken flower pot I had tossed up by my house to deal with later. Then a happy toad moved in and used it for a couple of years!
I also tried to make a toad home but nobody moved in. Lol