• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet the new Bunbun

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know you mentioned the teeth being a bit off center. Looking at the photo... well, I'm no expert, but the teeth look nice and healthy, though I see what you mean about the positioning. He's keeping them "trimmed", though! I'm curious if they vet will think anything of it. I wonder if he's been having drainage from his nose, and that's irritating to skin above his mouth. My baby boys had a little infection when I first got them, and they really did rub their noses a lot when they were dripping. Maybe frequent rubbing could have done it? It sort of looks like maybe there's drainage from the eyes that's dried up, too. I wonder if it's allergies or infection or what! Hopefully the improved diet will help a lot.
Ohhh okay. This makes sense. You know, his nose was dirty at first but it isn’t now. Maybe something is clearing up!

I did find a bunny vet (weirdest thing. In a bunny forum this lady says, “it’s not that expensive, $65 for an exam and $89 to neuter.”
So someone says where in the world do you live? And she’s in my town!)

So that vet cannot see me until next Monday. I said what if the eyes are half closed due to dehydration? She said they’ll call if anyone cancels.

Ive called at least 6 others. One has me on their cancellation list also. I’m not that worried.

We need more bunny vets! They’re in demand!

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
We need more bunny vets! They’re in demand!
Yes!! My bunny vet is 45min away, and I've wound up having to take my budgies to a vet 90min away. The prices you heard sound really good. Aspen came to me already neutered, but Oakie, Cedar, and (the departed) Linden all had to be neutered at the same time, and it was $100-something a bunny. I was impressed with the vet who did Cedar's amputation, though. He had never done one on a rabbit (I can't imagine many people in this area paying what I paid for a bunny surgery :wideyed: ), but Cedar healed REALLY quickly once it was over -- was a regular ol' sassy pants after just a couple of days. That was 2.5yrs ago, and he's still hopping around happily. A little lopsided, but pretty good, all this considered.

But what I meant to say about bunny vets was that when Oakie got sick, it was over a weekend (of course!) and RIGHT before I had to go out of town. My local vet, the one my cats and dogs go to, wasn't comfortable diagnosing and prescribing antibiotics for a rabbit, and I literally just didn't have time to get to the exotics vet -- IF they had even had an appointment. Thankfully, I had antibiotics left over from Cedar's surgery -- quite a lot, since we'd wound up getting a higher concentration compounded after a couple of days. I started Oakie on the abx as soon as he got sick, and they started working very quickly, so I think the vet eventually said to just keep giving them. (I know I gave him a full course and he made a full recovery, just not what happened in between! :laugh: ). More vet selection would have made the whole thing a lot easier.

I'm sure you know that bunnies are as sensitive to smells and air quality as birds -- maybe there was something in the old house that was irritating for him, and now he's getting some relief. I can imagine it wouldn't take much. So many people use oil diffusers or scented products.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes!! My bunny vet is 45min away, and I've wound up having to take my budgies to a vet 90min away. The prices you heard sound really good. Aspen came to me already neutered, but Oakie, Cedar, and (the departed) Linden all had to be neutered at the same time, and it was $100-something a bunny. I was impressed with the vet who did Cedar's amputation, though. He had never done one on a rabbit (I can't imagine many people in this area paying what I paid for a bunny surgery :wideyed: ), but Cedar healed REALLY quickly once it was over -- was a regular ol' sassy pants after just a couple of days. That was 2.5yrs ago, and he's still hopping around happily. A little lopsided, but pretty good, all this considered.

But what I meant to say about bunny vets was that when Oakie got sick, it was over a weekend (of course!) and RIGHT before I had to go out of town. My local vet, the one my cats and dogs go to, wasn't comfortable diagnosing and prescribing antibiotics for a rabbit, and I literally just didn't have time to get to the exotics vet -- IF they had even had an appointment. Thankfully, I had antibiotics left over from Cedar's surgery -- quite a lot, since we'd wound up getting a higher concentration compounded after a couple of days. I started Oakie on the abx as soon as he got sick, and they started working very quickly, so I think the vet eventually said to just keep giving them. (I know I gave him a full course and he made a full recovery, just not what happened in between! :laugh: ). More vet selection would have made the whole thing a lot easier.

I'm sure you know that bunnies are as sensitive to smells and air quality as birds -- maybe there was something in the old house that was irritating for him, and now he's getting some relief. I can imagine it wouldn't take much. So many people use oil diffusers or scented products.
Maybe so! He was kept by a parakeet cage, it could be dust? Heaven knows I have more birds, but at my house he’s beside an Oak Creek aviary - it’s all contained. :D

I have cyclosporin I use in the dog’s eyes, and it has crossed my mind to try it on him!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of your spay-neuter prices sound like absolute bargains.

finchly, if you're worried about dehydration, give the bun some fresh pineapple. It's got inulin & is excellent for gut motility. It tends to make buns feel better & more energetic, which usually leads to eating & drinking.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
OMG, he looks like a little doll-bunny! Toooo cute.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He loves his doll bed! He stays on it all the time.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Saw a little talk of baby rabbit diet, but not too much. Let me write this out.

introduce veggies (not carrots yet) at 12 weeks no sooner
at 6 months you can give small amounts of carrots and fruit as treats
unlimited alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay until 6/7 months, a good alfalfa based pellet is oxbow for young rabbits
at 6/7 months start introducing Timothy/grass/orchard hays, decrease the amount of alfalfa hay given
at 6/7 months you can start adding more and more vegetables to their diet, and fruit treats!
by 1 year they should be completely transitioned to a limited amount of Timothy pellets, looking at the size of your bunny, not sure of the weight, but I’m guessing a 1/4th cup per day. Also completely transitioned away from alfalfa hay.

I have a lot of experience with baby bunnies so let me know if you need any more info about anything