• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Meet Sugar

NotRoss

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ross

This is my Cockatiel, Sugar. She is young and I am currently attempting to tame her, but there has been difficulty. I've heard it can take some time to tame/train, weeks/months. Does anyone have some suggestions on hand taming a female?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She's awfully cute! Your right, she does seem fairly relaxed around you. Make sure you reward her after every single click. You can see her looking around for her treat. Peanuts are so fun for them, but unfortunately they are not the best treat to give. They are high in fat, and they may contain aflatoxins. Maybe you can try safflower seeds. I pick these out of one of my birds seed mix, so she only gets them when training. When you get her out of her cage, maybe try using a perch or your arm, rather than your hand. Many birds don't like hands in their cage. You can train her to get out of her cage the same way you are training her to step up.

NotRoss

Real Name
Ross
How would I give her the safflower seed? She doesn't like eating from the palm of my hand unfortunately.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How long have you had her?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is very cute. Congrats. You might want to try small pieces of Lafeber popcorn or Avicakes. My 'tiels like those.

NotRoss

Real Name
Ross
I've had her for about a month now. I sit and talk to her, and read my books while sitting next to her.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
She is adorable! My female tiel, Lily is very food motivated...she loves shelled pumpkin seeds - pepitas? Sugar does not seem to be afraid of you at all - and you have only had her about a month...keep talking to her, offering treats, reading to her...I think you are doing a great job already trying to establish a relationship with her...

I am new to budgies - recently added 2 to my flock of 5 tiels and a lovebird...any advice? :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I guess I was thinking she would take it from your fingers, she seems so comfortable! If not, you can probably use the peanuts for a while. It took one of my birds a couple of months to learn to like millet, I guess she had never had it before. I think your bird will settle in very nicely, your doing very well with her!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's adorable. :)

NotRoss

Real Name
Ross
My budgies were not hand raised, and I did attempt to tame them but they are their own flock. Only two of them are willing to use my hand as a perch, the other two are wild. I feed them, and keep them clean and happy!