• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Rudy

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d like for you all to meet Rudy. He is a recessive pied blue male, to the best of my ability to discern these things.

19EC0EB3-6479-46AB-9D78-4BEDFB3183A8.jpeg

C78066F0-266B-4201-9DE6-AD72D90B0535.jpeg
95607ABF-D0E0-4418-816F-B2CE3BFB7471.jpeg

He is very pretty and not doing to badly being here considering all he’s been through in the last 2 weeks.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
He's adorable. He's so fluffy :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So cute!! I'm stumped about his cere. @Ripshod will know. Do you have any more pictures, not zoomed in & in natural light?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of those are in natural light, I’m afraid @Sparkles99. His tiny cage is near a window at the moment. He’s being very shy around the camera, so those are the best I have so far.

I have a larger cage soaking in F10. I’ll be transferring him(?) to that cage later today. I’m off to get better perches and groceries. He’ll get some chop later when it is fed to the rest of the flock!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think you're right & he's male! But I think he's a double factor dominant pied & that he has one dark factor too.

Waiting for more expert opinions... :popcorn2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you're right & he's male! But I think he's a double factor dominant pied & that he has one dark factor too.

Waiting for more expert opinions... :popcorn2:
I look forward to hearing what others have to say!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is a pretty little guy! I’m on my way home now with a sack full of perches and toys (best I could get at PetCo) so I can set up his temporary new cage.
Ooh can't wait to see how it looks! I love seeing cage set ups.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww love Rudy! So beautiful and fluffy :swoon:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the cage he’s probably been in since he was brought home from the pet store.
BE5BA53D-2163-4A96-9FDC-2085B8CCEF64.jpeg

This is the cage he’s in now. It’s not great by any means, but it is at least twice the size of the cage he came to me in. I need to add a ladder and rope perch, but there weren’t any in stock at the store I was in today. In the next month I’ll get another flight cage for him.
F9C6DBC6-87C4-4F89-976E-0F79910CEBD9.jpeg

He is about 4 years old according to the family. He’s only been fed the commercial seed mix from the store, and he doesn’t know what a millet spray is. I’m off to fix a dish of chop to put in his cage to see if he’ll try it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw that's such a good upgrade for him! He's so lucky to have landed with you. Hopefully he'll be willing to try the chop. I've had great luck getting Bosco to eat his veggies despite being on seed but he still won't touch pellets 3 weeks in.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But I think he's a double factor dominant pied & that he has one dark factor too.
I wish I understood what that means! Lol! I'm going to have to go read up on mutations.

I'm keeping an eye on him at the moment via a camera. He's playing with one of his new toys! :swoon:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'll try to explain it using some old pictures. My budgies are in bed.

Recessive pied males have bubblegum pink ceres. The colour is very distinctive. Being a recessive mutation, a budgie needs two copies of the gene (one from each parent) to get this. Rudy's cere isn't bubblegum pink. Also, from what I've seen, there's very little colour left on a recessive pied. Marzipan is one & he's practically all white with tiny bits of black or blue that you really have to look for.

Close up of Marzipan when he first came (adult). You can see the bubblegum pink colour clearly. Also, note the lack of eye rings. If Rudy has no eye rings, he may have a copy of recessive pied from what I've read, but it could be something else hidden too.
Recessive pied cere - Marzipan.JPG

Marzipan, showing tiny bits of blue & black, but he's mainly white.
Marzipan & Pistachio.JPG

Marzipan, sporting his bold blue feathers well! The area around the vent often has the most colour in recessive pieds. Also, the blue is said to be 'brighter' than the regular sky blue if the budgie is a recessive pied. This picture shows both.
Marzipan colour.JPG

Double factor dominant pied refers to the fact that this gene has two effects. Both single and double factor dominant pieds are phenotypically/visually pied, but the double factors have more pied-ness. Frosting is a single factor. He has lots of white, blue & black on him. Notably, many of them have a band of white across the front. This is most evident on Cloud, who is also a single factor dominant, as is Ernest.

Baby Aurelius, with way more head bars & colour than Marzipan's head ever had.
Baby Aurelius.JPG

Aurelius (yellow) with Winston. Note that he has more cheek, head & other green markings than Marzipan has of blue.
Aurelius & Winston.JPG

Fuzzy pic, but it also shows his non-yellow parts well. I don't seem to have a picture of his rump, which is totally green. This is a hallmark of double factor dominant pieds: colouring at the root of the tail. Aurelius has this.
Aurelius.JPG

Baby Cloud, showing the typical single factor dominant pied band across the belly. He has a dark blue cere as an adult.
Baby Cloud.JPG

Teenage Ernest, showing the typical single factor dominant pied band across the belly. He has a dark blue cere as an adult.
Teenage Ernest.JPG

Double factor dominant pieds may at first glance appear to be recessive pied, but there are some telltale signs. They frequently have colour across the lower back by the tail & the males' ceres are pink, purple, dark blue, or a mottled mix of those. The pink isn't bubblegum pink.

Teenage Frosting, a single factor dominant pied without any other mutations (other than being blue). I'm revising my initial guess, based on reviewing all of this to try to answer your question: I now think Rudy is a single factor dominant pied. :) I still think he has one dark factor. If he had none, his blue would be like Frosting's. If he had two, his blue would resemble Cloud's.
Frosting.JPG

I love exploring budgie genetics!

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to explain it using some old pictures. My budgies are in bed.

Recessive pied males have bubblegum pink ceres. The colour is very distinctive. Being a recessive mutation, a budgie needs two copies of the gene (one from each parent) to get this. Rudy's cere isn't bubblegum pink. Also, from what I've seen, there's very little colour left on a recessive pied. Marzipan is one & he's practically all white with tiny bits of black or blue that you really have to look for.

Close up of Marzipan when he first came (adult). You can see the bubblegum pink colour clearly. Also, note the lack of eye rings. If Rudy has no eye rings, he may have a copy of recessive pied from what I've read, but it could be something else hidden too.
View attachment 412073

Marzipan, showing tiny bits of blue & black, but he's mainly white.
View attachment 412074

Marzipan, sporting his bold blue feathers well! The area around the vent often has the most colour in recessive pieds. Also, the blue is said to be 'brighter' than the regular sky blue if the budgie is a recessive pied. This picture shows both.
View attachment 412075

Double factor dominant pied refers to the fact that this gene has two effects. Both single and double factor dominant pieds are phenotypically/visually pied, but the double factors have more pied-ness. Frosting is a single factor. He has lots of white, blue & black on him. Notably, many of them have a band of white across the front. This is most evident on Cloud, who is also a single factor dominant, as is Ernest.

Baby Aurelius, with way more head bars & colour than Marzipan's head ever had.
View attachment 412078

Aurelius (yellow) with Winston. Note that he has more cheek, head & other green markings than Marzipan has of blue.
View attachment 412076

Fuzzy pic, but it also shows his non-yellow parts well. I don't seem to have a picture of his rump, which is totally green. This is a hallmark of double factor dominant pieds: colouring at the root of the tail. Aurelius has this.
View attachment 412077

Baby Cloud, showing the typical single factor dominant pied band across the belly. He has a dark blue cere as an adult.
View attachment 412079

Teenage Ernest, showing the typical single factor dominant pied band across the belly. He has a dark blue cere as an adult.
View attachment 412080

Double factor dominant pieds may at first glance appear to be recessive pied, but there are some telltale signs. They frequently have colour across the lower back by the tail & the males' ceres are pink, purple, dark blue, or a mottled mix of those. The pink isn't bubblegum pink.

Teenage Frosting, a single factor dominant pied without any other mutations (other than being blue). I'm revising my initial guess, based on reviewing all of this to try to answer your question: I now think Rudy is a single factor dominant pied. :) I still think he has one dark factor. If he had none, his blue would be like Frosting's. If he had two, his blue would resemble Cloud's.
View attachment 412081

I love exploring budgie genetics!
Very informative

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB