• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Rosie! My 30 year old foster tiel

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for taking Rosie in. I hope her/his foot heals soon!
Thanks. I actually don't see anything wrong with his foot. I'm not sure why he fell before I got him. So, I'm hoping it was just a weird accident. I think his feet look good, especially for his age. So fingers crossed everything is okay. (And he's a boy. Even though his name is Rosie. LOL. Wasn't there a football player named Rosie years ago?)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks. I actually don't see anything wrong with his foot. I'm not sure why he fell before I got him. So, I'm hoping it was just a weird accident. I think his feet look good, especially for his age. So fingers crossed everything is okay. (And he's a boy. Even though his name is Rosie. LOL. Wasn't there a football player named Rosie years ago?)
Rosie Grier

20190626_083811.jpg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome, Rosie! :pinklol3:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Michelle - thank you for taking this little old lady under your wing. She is very special (as are you).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Michelle - thank you for taking this little old lady under your wing. She is very special (as are you).
So sweet of you. Thanks. I'm actually honored that the rescue trusted me with him. (He's a boy- I know "Rosie".... but after 30 years I can't change his name. LOL.) I have a soft spot for the senior tiels, all because of Sunny - who I thought was a senior at 15! Little did I know he'd be the youngest bird I had in my flock! I just want to make Rosie comfortable and happy.

He seemed a little out of sorts yesterday and this morning. More so than when I got him over the weekend. I'm hoping maybe it's the weather and he's a bit tuckered out from all the excitement. And I have been letting him fly which I don't think he has in awhile. So, it might be a bit much for him. I think for the next few days I'm only going to let him out once a day instead of twice until I can gage how much activity he can handle. (And the poor boy is not a pretty flyer. He kind of flies vertically and not horizontally but I guess that he can fly at all is something in and of itself.)

I think Scooter is a bit jealous of him so I have to work on that. He wasn't when they were together over Thanksgiving but Rosie wasn't on his turf then. I think I have picked out a new cage for Rosie. Because I over-think everything, I haven't ordered it yet but hope to by tomorrow.

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hes so cute!!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Maybe - at his age - he needs some pain medication. It would be quite unusual at his age for him not to have some arthritis. Perhaps that is why he flies vertically.

Anyway he is a grand old man.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he has some arthritis (and honestly I'd be surprised if he didn't), it would make sense that he's extra sore after having more activity than usual. I know I already said this to you via text, but I really think it would benefit your flock if your vet was willing to let you just have some Metacam on hand and use it as needed. Do you know if they do that?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Would tart cherry juice help?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Don't know how I missed this thread. Welcome Rosie.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe - at his age - he needs some pain medication. It would be quite unusual at his age for him not to have some arthritis. Perhaps that is why he flies vertically.

Anyway he is a grand old man.
If he has some arthritis (and honestly I'd be surprised if he didn't), it would make sense that he's extra sore after having more activity than usual. I know I already said this to you via text, but I really think it would benefit your flock if your vet was willing to let you just have some Metacam on hand and use it as needed. Do you know if they do that?
It's very possible that he does have some arthritis. He seemed perkier today after having not been let out yesterday. I don't know if the vet will give me Metacam. I can look into it. Is it by syringe though? He is not very hands on yet and I hate to stress the old guy out. Interestingly, he's on the bird supplement. I guess he's been on it his whole life and it has poppy seeds in it. I don't think he ate any of it day before yesterday because I put the dish in place he wasn't comfortable going to. I moved it last night. I wouldn't normally give it to him but the rescue and I both said well he's always eaten it.... And it does have brewer's yeast in it too. Do you think the poppy seeds might be a little bit of pain killer/drug for him?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks so amazing for 30!! I would have never guessed! What a little angel he is. :swoon: Welcome to the Avenue, Rosie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Metacam is typically by syringe but I bet you could put it on like a piece of bread or cracker or something. It's a very benign med so it doesn't have to be a super exact dose.

I'll talk to the rescue about it and see if maybe their vet would do it. Not sure if mine will without first seeing him. What do you think about the poppy seeds?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here's what I found out about poppy seeds - will go back and find out if they have any analgesic properties.

PS - Metacam comes in an oral liquid as well as injections - Jasper took it for 15 years by mouth.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Abstract
"Morphine is one of the many, and pharmacologically most important, opium poppy alkaloid (Papaver somniferum). A poppy plant consists of a lot of alkaloids. Most of them are morphine, codeine, narcotine, papaverine, thebaine, narceine and narcotoline. Most of the alkaloid is in the poppy milk - opium..It is a dried and properly processed juice with precut immature poppy-heads. It induces euphoria, somnolence, has an analgesic effect."

That's the good news. The abstract above was about a young man who had overdosed on tea made from poppy seeds. I think maybe you need to ask your vet. It also causes a mild high in the tea form.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Abstract
"Morphine is one of the many, and pharmacologically most important, opium poppy alkaloid (Papaver somniferum). A poppy plant consists of a lot of alkaloids. Most of them are morphine, codeine, narcotine, papaverine, thebaine, narceine and narcotoline. Most of the alkaloid is in the poppy milk - opium..It is a dried and properly processed juice with precut immature poppy-heads. It induces euphoria, somnolence, has an analgesic effect."

That's the good news. The abstract above was about a young man who had overdosed on tea made from poppy seeds. I think maybe you need to ask your vet. It also causes a mild high in the tea form.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I will talk to me vet. I am drawing a blank on the name of the stuff but it's made for birds. I was surprised that one of the ingredients was poppy seeds. And as I mentioned, it does have brewer's yeast too which is good for stress, etc. I just didn't think birds were supposed to have poppy seeds. But maybe that's why he's lived so long- he's been slightly high the whole time. ;)