• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Rosie! My 30 year old foster tiel

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my...never would have guessed 30. Congrats! STory?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
For some reason, I can't add words to my first post- not sure what I did wrong- but here is Rosie's story:

Yes, that little cutie is 30! He looks amazing, doesn't he? He came to stay with us yesterday, and of course, we already love him. He lived with one owner his entire life until she sadly couldn't take care of him anymore because of health reasons. I was really nervous about bringing him in. I didn't want him to be stressed, etc. He's doing really, really well so far. Preened my hair last night and whistled tunes for me this morning. We had him meet Scooter over Thanksgiving. And they are curious about each other but not overly interested. Both being only birds for so long, I'm not sure they recognize each other as tiels but hopefully in time, that will change. And Elvis is tolerant of the littles. He just kind of looked at me yesterday, like, one more? Really? And wanted extra snuggles at bed time but other than that was fine.

I'm working on figuring out the best cage situation for Rosie. I think I'm going to put him in a flight cage as I was told he has some trouble getting around (and fell a couple times) but so far, I don't see it. I think he chooses not to move around a lot. LOL. But I'm going to try to get him to eat senior nutriberries since they have glucosamine, etc in case he does have some foot issues. But I looked last night, and they look good to me. Hopefully, I can figure out a cage arrangement that works best for him. I just want him to be happy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He´s soooo adorable!!! :cloud9:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I put the elderly babies in the smaller finch flights. They seem to do better.
How tall are they? I brought back a flight cage from the rescue but need to get some different sized perches. Rosie wants to be on the highest perch in his cage though. Is that an issue for your birds? He doesn't tend to go "down" very often.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
He's so pretty :heart: 30 years old is quite something for a Tiel. Its sad that his original owner had to give him up for health reasons. It's wonderful thou that you could take him in... for now ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's so pretty :heart: 30 years old is quite something for a Tiel. Its sad that his original owner had to give him up for health reasons. It's wonderful thou that you could take him in... for now ;)
It's very sad. And 30 is definitely something for a tiel. I think I remember someone had a tiel that lived until 32? Does anyone remember that? I think that's the oldest I have heard of.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I didn't know you had one tiel before.
And now Rosie. ❤

I have always thought of you as a tiel person so it's awesome that you can "foster" two.
Now I have to search for your latest threads. :)

I wonder if you can contact Rosie's old owner just to let her now that he is safe and will be really good taken care of.
Or perhaps you already have?
30 years is a long time, really happy that he is with you now. ❤

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
yes, I've heard of a 32-year-old tiel. I have one that is probably close to 30 years old. He has a messed up wing and a bad foot from previous history, and I have him in a flight cage. I have lots of rope perches and ladders and he does just fine. Good that your little one was already singing and preening; if you think about it the owner's health had probably been got going downhill for a while so he was happy to have people that could handle him and play with him. :) :heart: