• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet my lovebirds and help me to understand their needs

kiwimango0

Moving in
Hey all, I have two lovebirds, one is green and one is yellow. I could not upload a video but my main question is green wants to mate but looks like yellow one does not care about it. Also yellow shreds paper and moves into nest box like green. They are sleeping together in nest box. How can I be sure about yellow is a male? Are these behaviours normal?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara maybe able to give you some insight. Welcome to AA!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue!

How can I be sure about yellow is a male?
You would need a DNA test to confirm your birds gender. Or wait for an egg to confirm female.

Are these behaviours normal?
I don´t have Fischeri lovebirds, I have Roseicollis, and both male and female will shred paper. Most lovebirds enjoy shredding it.

green wants to mate but looks like yellow one does not care about it
Sometimes, even a male / female pairing will not be compatible. Monitor closely to be sure no fights break out. If they fight, they will need to be housed separately.

@TikiMyn may be able to help with more species specific details, but she won´t be able to say if your bird is male or female.

kiwimango0

Moving in
Thanks for the replies!

Sometimes I hear some fight noises while both in nestbox but I did not see any harm they caused to each other. What happens if I seperate them to miss each other? Do they harm themselves when they seperated?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes I hear some fight noises while both in nestbox
I would remove the nestbox.

Do that first, then see how things go.

Also, I can´t quite work out how big your cage is, but the more space lovebirds have, the better. They really do need large cages to avoid bickering and fighting.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome to the avenue!

one is green and one is yellow
That's so funny - your yellow one looks just like my lovebird, named Mango, and your green one looks just like my lovebird, named Kiwi!

Also yellow shreds paper and moves into nest box like green.
That is perfectly normal - all of my Fischeri lovebirds adore to shred things and carry them around, regardless of whether they want to mate or not.

They are sleeping together in nest box.
Also perfectly normal, and really cute! :D

Just like Zara said, you can't tell the gender of your birds unless you get a DNA test or one lays an egg.

Sometimes I hear some fight noises while both in nestbox but I did not see any harm they caused to each other. What happens if I seperate them to miss each other? Do they harm themselves when they seperated?
When I most recently had breeding lovebirds, they would occasionally bicker in their nesting box. It was just little squabbles, and they never harmed each other. I didn't dare separate them because I knew they would be heartbroken! They were perfectly fine.
Birds might start plucking themselves if they are separated, but again, like Zara said, you can start with just removing the nest box. You don't need to start with separating them right off the bat.

Good luck! :)

kiwimango0

Moving in
Hi all, I need to correct an information shared before. I said they were sleeping in nestbox together I find out that I am wrong. Yellow one sleep in a little spacd between nest wall and plastic cup in nest box. You can see his head a little. IMG_20211119_000918.jpg I could not take a better picture because I do not want to scare him. Why does he sleeping there while she is sleeping in a normal place? IMG_20211119_000945.jpg

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why does he sleeping there while she is sleeping in a normal place?
Maybe they are not bonded.
A bonded male female pair will sleep together, touching inside the nest. During the day the male will stand guard outside the entry hole at points during the day, as well as go in and check on the hen and feed her.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have a Fischer's male and female too, the girl is blind though and has physical issues.
My male, Maui, loves Xena and she love shim back, but they do squabble sometimes, I thought. It sounds like high squeaking, but they never did it while I was watching. Appearantly though, that were their love making noises:o:
Try to confirm if they are really fighting, or just a squabble. I don't think it is a bad idea to separate them, you could put a the cages next to each other and give them supervised out time together. See how that goes, if they miss each other a lot it will be quite clear I think. That is what I would try:)