• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet me and my clubbed footed Eurasian Jay

SusanS BSNCCRN

Moving in
Real Name
Susan C Steckov
Hello All!
I have just adopted a Eurasian Jay that has one clubbed foot, and a lazy foot. Both require special exercises and splinting though, more splinting on the worse affected, obviously.

With a long history of working with Psittacines, I gladly adopted this brainiac of the wild bird world! I believe the intelligence of birds is enough to adapt to most minor inconveniences, but given that this little guy was pushed out of the nest, and was left unattended for 8 hours, (I sat back to observe, and read my book, while maintaining a good distance to ensure the parents were not caring for it.),I decided to take him home, and see what I could do to help him overcome his challenges.

He has been with me for 4 days now, and I have given him splints on alternating sides each day, while spending several hours a day, of unsplinted time, giving him various exercises for feet, and of course, wings.

He is thriving thus far!

After his initial check for parasites, I provide him with opportunities to bathe - a natural behavior he must learn, and although I offer a granulated food mix, (hardboiled egg, minced fruit, bread crumbs, combine with unsweetened fruit juice), in the event he will attempt self-feeding, he is not quite weaned, but anxiously opens his beak for feeding at the correct interval for his age. *between 3 and 6 hours depending on activity level, and he is just fine overnight.

Taking in a Special Needs bird is right up my alley! I hope to acclimate him to the back garden, when he is more independent, and can sustain short flight, where he will be safe from predators, and can fly into the window for shelter/ and 'or feeding when necessary.

Alway a bird lover, I'm happy to find this community, and see that there are others with special birds!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Susan :fairy2:

Very good of you to take in this little guy and try to help his feet ❤

SusanS BSNCCRN

Moving in
Real Name
Susan C Steckov
Welcome to the forum Susan :fairy2:

Very good of you to take in this little guy and try to help his feet ❤
That's very nice of you! Thanks! Although I mainly deal with the health of people, but my experience allows me to give him a fighting chance!!

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your new charge! :)

Does he have a name yet?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to reading more about your bird. :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Susan! It is heartening to know the Jay is thriving under your care. Looking forward to following his progress. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

SusanS BSNCCRN

Moving in
Real Name
Susan C Steckov
Welcome to you and your new charge! :)

Does he have a name yet?
I have not yet named him, but he needs a really STRONG name for being such an amazig little creature!! A synonnym for inspiration is Muse, tht miight be a cute name...chosen as he is a little fighter, and despite his noticable handicap, he powers through the exercises I give him to ensure timely development. Any person, or creature, over coming challenges - we all have them to an extent - is always an inspiration for others!
I think I have a few other choices running through my mind.....because he's a brainiac, I've also thought of "Hawk" in memory of Stephen Hawkins.....
Anything that speaks of his personality.....and maybe wind up being complimentary to my Chihuahua mix, Safari!! They're getting along well! Of course the baby chases her because he likes her furry warmth, and so tolerates him!!
I'll have to ask for my hubby's opinion.....he really likes the little guy, and he may have a novel idea!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have not yet named him, but he needs a really STRONG name for being such an amazig little creature!! A synonnym for inspiration is Muse, tht miight be a cute name...chosen as he is a little fighter, and despite his noticable handicap, he powers through the exercises I give him to ensure timely development. Any person, or creature, over coming challenges - we all have them to an extent - is always an inspiration for others!
I think I have a few other choices running through my mind.....because he's a brainiac, I've also thought of "Hawk" in memory of Stephen Hawkins.....
...those are wonderful name ideas! :) We'll watch to see what you choose..after all...he must be welcomed to the Avenue properly...with his name...;)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very cute! Thank you for rescuing him.

There are wild ones near me and I love their colours. He's going to grow up to be a gorgeous bird!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum. :fairy:

I hope your little jay finds his stride and adapts to life with you. It is defiantly more work to care for a special bird, but worth it in the long run.

I have a scoliosis hen. She is the sweetest bird ever. I need to update her post, it has been awhile. I think they understand when we are helping them out.

The Story of Starlight the Ancona- Scoliosis | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

IMG_5777.JPG

SusanS BSNCCRN

Moving in
Real Name
Susan C Steckov
Welcome to the forum. :fairy:

I hope your little jay finds his stride and adapts to life with you. It is defiantly more work to care for a special bird, but worth it in the long run.

I have a scoliosis hen. She is the sweetest bird ever. I need to update her post, it has been awhile. I think they understand when we are helping them out.

The Story of Starlight the Ancona- Scoliosis | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

View attachment 307363
Animals, like children, don't understand that they are disabled unless we treat them so. Early in my career, I worked with these kids, nd they were not disabled in my mind...challenges to overcome, yes!
My little guy also has challenges, and hard telling if he would have survived in the wild, but with me, and feet splinted, thereis definitely more hope for a happy, thriving life!
Your chicken is sweet! Animals definitely perceive our intent!